Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

311 City Services
  • Online Services
  • For City services in many
  • languages, call
  • 311 or 510-981-2489

Translation Disclaimer

Quick Links


General Information
General Information

Short-Term Rental Registration and Taxes


Become a Certified Short Term Rental Host

If you rent your Dwelling Unit, authorized Accessory Dwelling Unit, or Accessory Building, for 13 days or less, you are considered a Short Term Rental and are required to register with the City based on Berkeley Municipal Code (BMC) Section 23C.22. Register online by clicking on the link below:


 What is a short-term rental?

An STR is the use of any dwelling unit authorized accessory dwelling unit, or accessory building, or portions thereof, for dwelling, sleeping, or lodging purposes by a paying guest. The City's STR Ordinance assumes most transient stays will be 14 consecutive days or less.


Is my unit eligible?

To use a unit as a short-term rental, it must be:

  • your primary residence
  • approved by the property owner if you are a tenant
  • covered by liability insurance of $1,000,000
  • located in one of the following zones: R-1, R-1A, R-2, R-2A, R-3, R-4, R-5, R-S, R-SMU, C-DMU, C-1, C-NS, C-SA, C-T, C-W, MUR - Including any of these zones with an H overlay (use our parcel information lookup tool to learn what zone you are in)

You cannot use a unit as a short-term rental if it:

  • is an accessory dwelling unit that:
    • was built after April 1, 2017
    • has been used as a long term rental since April 1, 2007
  • is a Below Market Rate unit
  • has had a no-fault eviction within the last five years


What you'll need to apply

Make sure you have these documents ready as an electronic file before you start the online application.


Proof of ownership or property owner approval:

  • deed,
  • property tax bill*, or
  • signed property owner agreement form

Three proof of residency documents:

  • California driver's license or ID
  • credit card bill
  • property tax bill
  • voter registration
  • bank statement
  • utility bill

*If providing a copy of your property tax bill, do not submit an internet copy, as it does not list an owner's name. You must submit a copy of the bill that was mailed to you.


Please note that proofs of residency must specify a unit number if applicable. If you are renting out an accessory dwelling unit, you'll also need to provide a copy of your deed restriction demonstrating the unit is legal.


Paying your Taxes and Fees

There is a $220.00 non-refundable application fee with a $5.50 [SV1] processing fee upon submittal. In addition to the 12% Transient Occupancy Tax, hosts must pay a 2% enforcement fee remitted monthly. You can file your returns and pay your taxes online through our secure vendor.


Requirements for Hosts

Once your application is approved, you will receive a zoning certificate that allows you to use your home for short-term rentals. You must list your zoning certificate number on all advertisements for your rental.

Additionally, you must:

  • Remit the 12% Transient Occupancy Tax and pay the 2% enforcement fee monthly
  • Notify residents of all adjacent properties that you are leasing your home as a short term rental
  • Provide all guests with a copy of this letter on both booking and arrival

If you are not present while guests are there, you may only rent out your home as a short-term rental for 90 days each calendar year.



Visit our Frequently Asked Questions about Short-Term Rentals for more information.


For complaints about unpermitted short-term rentals or nuisance problems, contact:

  • 24 hour STR Compliance Line
  • (833) 300-0787

For questions regarding unit eligibility or the application process, contact:

  • Planning Department Land Use Division
  • E-mail: str@cityofberkeley.info
  • Phone: (510) 981-7410

For questions regarding taxes, contact:

Home | Residents | Businesses | COVID-19 | Services | Elected Officials
Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
City of Berkeley - Central Administrative Offices, 2180 Milvia St, Berkeley, CA 94704
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903