Translation Disclaimer

Parks Recreation & Waterfront Department
Parks Recreation & Waterfront Department

Berkeley Pier History

This pier, constructed by the Golden Gate Ferry Company under a 1926 franchise from the City, now extends from the Berkeley Marina, which was built on landfill, out into the Bay well beyond the original shoreline. It is a reminder of the earliest urban settlement in Berkeley and a time when goods and people were transported mainly by water. The pier accommodated ferries that carried cars across San Francisco Bay. After big events in Berkeley, such as football games at the University of California, hundreds of cars would back up for hours waiting to board the ferry for the trip back to San Francisco. After the Bay Bridge was completed and opened to automobile traffic in 1936 the pier was converted to recreational use, including fishing. Approximately 3,000 feet of the original 3.5 mile length of the pier remain in usable condition.

Source: Berkeley Historic Plaque Project, 2003

Marina Historic (F)

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Parks Recreation & Waterfront Department, 2180 Milvia Street, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: parks@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-6700
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903
###