Translation Disclaimer

Permit Service Center
Permit Service Center

Online Minor Permits

Licensed California contractors may now apply, pay for and be issued minor permits for the scopes of work listed below for single family homes and duplexes through Permits Online.

Minor Permits that Do Not Require Plans

  • Re-Roofs
  • Water Heaters
  • Residential Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditions systems (HVAC)
  • Gas Shut-off Valves

Minor Permits that Require Plans

Contractors must first register to use the Permits Online system, login and select "Create an Application" under Building Permits. The option to "Create an Application" is only available to users who login. Contractors must have a current City of Berkeley business license to register. Once payment has been received for a minor permit, the permit and job card will be available on the online portal as an attachment. Minor permits are NOT available online for residential buildings with three or more units or commercial buildings. 

Contractors will be required to upload plans for Solar PV and Electric Vehicle Charging permits. Please allow a 24-hour turn around for plan review. If additional information is needed, applicants will be notified by email. Corrected drawings may be submitted online. The approved drawings, permit and job card will be available through Permits Online once payment has been received.


Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Permit Service Center, 1947 Center St, 3rd Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-7500
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903