Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Parks Division
Parks Division

Fire Fuel Chipper and Debris Bin Program

Begins June 7th and ends Sept 24th

The Fire Fuel Chipper and Debris Bin Program is part of the city’s Vegetation Management Program. This program, which began in the spring of 1993, provides a brush chipping service and debris bins to Berkeley residents that live in the designated areas. It is funded by a surcharge on the refuse bills residents in the Fire Surcharge Area pay. Only properties that pay the refuse bill surcharge are eligible for using this program. This program does not apply to vacant lots or properties that have not paid the refuse bill surcharge. A brochure is mailed to eligible participants annually. 

The program is intended to assist residents in maintaining a defensible area around structures by lessening the amount of flammable vegetation on their property. Debris resulting from general commercial tree service operations will not be picked up nor will debris from properties that do not pay the surcharge. Property owners who do not pay the surcharge are still encouraged to have a commercial service remove their debris to maintain their own defensible area around structures.

To view the following information: 

  • The schedule for this year, including a map of the number areas. 
  • Instructions for stacking the vegetation for chipping. 
  • Information about the free bio-plastic compostable bags, including who can access them, what to put in them, and where to get them.
  • Information about the Debris Bin program. 
Click link: Fire Fuel Chipper and Debris Bin Program Brochure 2021


The Urban Forestry Unit administers the Fire Fuel Chipper Program; the Public Works Department administers the Debris Bin Program

To contact the Urban Forestry Unit about the Fire Fuel Chipper Program:

  • Call Customer Service at 311 if in the city limits, or at 510-981-CITY (2489), between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm 
  • Send your request by email to trees@cityofberkeley.info
  • Call the Parks Division Office at 510-981-6660, between 7:30 am and 4:00 pm 

To contact Public Works about the Debris Bin Program:

  • Call Customer Service at 311 from any city landline, or at 510-981-CITY (2489), between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm 
  • Call 510-981-7270 between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm 


To view a detailed map of the Fire Fuel Areas, visit our ArcGIS Interactive Map.

 To locate an address on the interactive map:

  1. Click on the magnifying glass located in the upper left portion of the map.
  2. Enter the address that you want to locate in the 'Find address or place' search box.
  3. Choose from the drop-down list, or click 'Enter'
Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Parks Division, 1326 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA 94702
Questions or comments? Email: trees@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-6660
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903