Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Toxics Management Division
Toxics Management Division

 Information for Businesses

As a Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA), the Toxics Management Division (TMD) regulates businesses that handle hazardous materials and generate hazardous wastes in Berkeley. The CUPA administers five state programs, including the issuance of permits, enforcement activities and bills for services. To see if your business falls under the scope of the CUPA regulation, please read the information below on the five CUPA programs. If there are any questions, please feel free to call (510) 981-7460 or email toxics@cityofberkeley.info.

1. Hazardous Materials Release Response Plan and Inventory (Hazardous Materials Business Plan) Program  (Division 20, Chapter 6.95 of the California Health and Safety Code (including Hazardous Material Management Plan per Chapter 27 of the California Fire Code)

Any business that stores aggregate amounts of hazardous materials and hazardous waste over 55 gallons of liquids, 500 pounds of solids, or 200 cubic feet of gas is required to submit an electronic Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP) through the state of California Environmental Reporting System (CERS) (http://cers.calepa.ca.gov/). Some highly toxic and volatile chemicals have a lower reporting threshold.

To learn more about the HMBP Program, click here.

2. Hazardous Waste Generator Program  (Division 20, Chapter 6.5 of the California Health and Safety Code)

Any business that generates any amount of hazardous waste that is either treated or shipped off-site for disposal or recycling must submit a Hazardous Waste Generator Application. Any business that treats or recycles hazardous waste onsite must have a permit to do so before conducting this activity. Call (510) 981-7460 or email toxics@cityofberkeley.info to receive an application (this form can also be found on the TMD Forms page).

Small Quantity Generators (SQGs) may take hazardous waste to the Alameda County household hazardous waste facility but must retain proof of disposal receipt at the business office for inspection. Hours and address: http://www.stopwaste.org/at-home/household-hazardous-waste

To determine which Hazardous Waste category your business falls under, click here.

3. Underground Storage Tank (UST) Program  (California Health and Safety Code, Chapter 6.7)

TMD regulates businesses that store hazardous materials in underground storage tanks (USTs). These facilities are required to have UST registration forms and monitoring and spill response plans on file with TMD. The requirements UST facilities must meet can be found in Chapter 6.7 of Division 20 of the California Health and Safety Code, and in Title 23 of the California Code of Regulations.

TMD also oversees permits required for the removal, installation or modification of USTs. Businesses that want to install, remove, or modify a UST should start the permit process by contacting the Permit Service Center at (510) 981-7500.

To learn more about the UST Program, click here.

4. Above Ground Petroleum Storage Act (APSA) Program  (California Health and Safety Code, Chapter 6.67)

Businesses that have above-ground petroleum storage (including biodiesel blends) in containers that are at least 55 gallons each with a combined total volume of 1,320 gallons should call (510) 981-7460 to ensure they are meeting APSA requirements.

To learn more about the APSA Program, click here.

5. California Accidental Release Prevention (CalARP) Program  (Division 20, Chapter 6.95 of the California Health and Safety Code)

Businesses that handle large quantities of extremely hazardous substances or explosive materials should contact TMD at (510) 981-7460.

To learn more about the CalARP Program, click here.

The California EPA and The California Code of Regulations have more information.

In addition to CUPA programs, TMD oversees other enviromental programs:

Stormwater: All businesses are required to comply with best management practices to prevent the contamination of stormwater by pollutants. To learn more about the stormwater program, click here.

Subsurface Investigations (Wells, Soil Borings): Businesses that want to install, destroy, or modify a monitoring well, take a soil boring deeper than 3 feet, or install a grab-groundwater sampling point should contact TMD at (510) 981-7460 for a permit. Please download and complete a Drilling Permit Application (this form can also be found on the TMD Forms page).

Environmental Management Area: Many areas in the City of Berkeley are known or suspected to have groundwater contamination. These areas are known as Environmental Management Areas (EMA). For more information about the EMA, click here.

File Reviews: If you are a prospective business owner and would like to know more about a facility or site, you may submit a file review request form. TMD files contain information about site remediation, hazardous wastes and materials, underground storage tanks, and historical data about chemical inventories and more. Please visit our Community Right-to-Know page for instructions on how to submit a request form.

Contact Information for Other Government Agencies of Interest to Businesses

Department of Toxic Substances Control, State of California
Berkeley: (510) 540-2122
Website: http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/

San Francisco Regional Water Quality Control Board
1515 Clay Street, Oakland, CA 94612
(510) 622-2300

California Department of Public Health
Environmental Health Investigations: (510) 620-3620
Occupational Health: (510) 620-5757

Occupational Safety and Health, U.S. Government:
(800) 356-4674

Cal OSHA consulting in Bay Area
1515 Clay Street, Suite 1303, Oakland, CA 94612
(510) 622-2916
email: DOSHOAK@dir.ca.gov

Office of Emergency Services
For HAZMAT spill notifications, call the State Warning Center: 1-800-852-7550
Website: http://caloes.ca.gov/

Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste Disposal
This is a drop in service for low-quantity waste generators. 
To find out when the facility is open, call (510) 670-6460
Website: http://www.stopwaste.org/at-home/household-hazardous-waste

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Toxics Management Division, 1947 Center Street, 1st Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: toxics@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-7460
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903