Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Department of Planning & Development
Department of Planning & Development

What is the Landmark Alteration Permit Process? 

The Landmarks Preservation Commission (LPC) oversees the initiation, designation and/or alteration of properties or structures that it deems worthy of preservation for a variety of reasons, including, but not limited to architectural merit and historic or cultural significance. The LPC has the responsibility for design review of projects that involve landmarks, structures of merit or buildings within an historic district.

Click to see a list of designated landmarks.  Note the date on the pdf.  If it is older than one month old, the property you are researching is not listed, and you have reason to be concerned that the property may be a landmark, please check with the zoning staff or the Landmarks Preservation Commission secretary on the status of the property.

When is an Alteration Permit required?

Approval of an Alteration Permit by the LPC is required for any exterior construction, alteration, or demolition for which a City permit is required on a designated landmark, in a designated historic district or structure of merit. Interior alterations of landmarked public buildings are also regulated.    

How are neighbors involved? 

The LPC holds public hearings on applications for Alteration Permits.  The public hearing notice is posted at least ten days before the hearing and is mailed to all property owners and residents within 300 feet of the project site.  Neighbors are welcome to submit written comments to staff at any point during the process.  Written comments provided prior to the public hearing will be distributed to Commission members.  Verbal testimony can be provided at the meeting.


How does LPC decide whether to approve an Alteration Permit? 

When reviewing a project, the LPC considers how findings can be made so that the project will not conflict with the provisions of the Landmarks Preservation Ordinance and the applicable Standards as set forth in the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties: 


How do I apply for an Alteration Permit? 

Applications must be filed in person at the Permit Service Center , and must include all of the applicable requirements listed in the “LPC Structural Alteration Permit & Design Review Submittal Requirements”. Minimum requirements include (but are not limited to):

  • Application fees (see Fee Schedule)
  • Application form with owner's signature
  • Color photographs
  • Written description of project including a statement of how the project adheres to the Secretary of the Interior’s standards
  • Site plan, floor plans, and elevations


How long does it take? 


Alteration Permit applications that are complete when submitted and do not require environmental review, major revisions or mediation are typically processed in 3 to 12 months, depending on the complexity of the application.  


What is the process?

All Alteration Permits require a public hearing at the LPC.  When staff analysis has been completed, a public hearing notice is distributed.  A staff report, including a recommendation for action, is provided prior to the meeting. 

If an Alteration Permit also requires a Use Permit or an Administrative Use Permit, a separate application must be submitted.  Staff will coordinate review to ensure that necessary information is available for all decision-makers.

Following the LPC decision, staff will mail a Notice of Decision, which starts a 15-day appeal period.  If appealed, City Council consideration is scheduled within two or three months.  The City Council has the following options:

  • Affirm LPC action, or
  • Remand to LPC for reconsideration, or
  • Set for public hearing at City Council.

The City Council will receive the entire record for the project.  Additional written information may be submitted and will be provided to the Council, however, public testimony is not taken at the meeting when the City Council decides between these options. 

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Department of Planning & Development, 1947 Center Street, 3rd Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: planning@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-7400
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903