Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Department of Public Works
Department of Public Works

City of Berkeley Transfer Station

Accepts Your Refuse, Yard Waste & Recyclables

Easy access, quick service, competitive prices - see our current  Transfer Station Rates

LOCATION:  1201 Second Street - just off the Gilman Street freeway exit in Berkeley

Open: Monday through Saturday 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Closed: The Transfer Station is closed on Sundays and on the following holidays:

  • New Year’s Day
  • Independence Day (4th of July)
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Christmas Day
VEHICLE REQUIREMENTS: All customers must be inside a vehicle when entering the Transfer Station to drop off material or purchase pre-paid refuse and plant debris bags. No pedestrian walk-up access to the Scale House allowed. 

CoveredLoad A fee of $15 will be assessed to drivers of vehicles with Unsecured Loads arriving at the Transfer Station. An unsecured load is one that has not been fastened in or attached to the vehicle with tarps, rope, straps, netting, or chains, so as to prevent any part of the load or the covering from becoming loose, detached, or leaving the vehicle while the vehicle is moving.   

Driving with an unsecured load is against California state law: No Spillage "a vehicle shall not be driven or moved on any highway unless the vehicle is ..., covered, or loaded as to prevent any of its contents ... escaping from the vehicle."; and Load Secured "... the load is totally covered in a manner that will prevent the load or any part of the load from spilling or falling from the vehicle." 


Compostables: Please keep plant debris and other compostable materials separate from your other refuse.

  • Compostable materials include: tree and garden trimmings and unpainted/untreated wood (nails are okay).
  • Not allowed: plywood, particle board, painted wood, drywall, and plastic bags (please empty any plastic bags used to transport debris).
  • We cannot compost sod or plant debris with excessive dirt - this will be handled and charged as refuse.
  • Remember: loads that contain only compostable materials are charged at a reduced rate - see the rates, below.

Mixed Construction & Demolition (C&D) Debris: The Berkeley Transfer Station accepts construction and demolition materials for recycling. C&D material must be loose (no bags) to be accepted for recycling. Accepted recyclable C&D materials include:

  • Wood (clean, untreated, unpainted only)
  • Roofing Materials
  • Drywall
  • Tile, Porcelain, Brick
  • Dirt & Rock
  • Concrete
  • Metal
  • Cardboard
  • Rigid Plastics
  • Toilets, Sinks, Bathtubs
Note: Treated Wood Waste (TWW) is accepted at the Transfer Station, but it must be segregated and placed in a separate bin for proper disposal. TWW is not recyclable and it is charged at the refuse rate.

Other Recyclable & Special Handling Items: 

  • We accept and recycle appliances, e-waste, mattresses, and tires. These items may carry a special handling fee, see rates, below. 
  • We recycle carpet: Carpet must be clean and dry, debris-free, rolled separately from padding, and cut into manageable sections (4' is ideal). No wet or moldy carpet. No tack strips or small pieces of carpet. No carpet tiles, rugs, or carpet padding. Carpet is charged at the refuse rate.
  • We recycle mattresses: Effective January 1, 2020, all clean, dry mattresses (including futon mattresses) and box springs are accepted for recycling. California residents can drop off up to two mattresses or box springs at no charge. Commercial customers pay the standard rate for all mattresses and box springs.
  • Lower your costs: use the Berkeley Recycling CenterTo save money, recycle as much as possible at the Berkeley Recycling Center (at the corner of 2nd and Gillman) before you enter the Transfer Station. Organize your load so you can easily remove the recyclable materials. Visit Re:Source to find other local options to reuse, recycle, or dispose of almost anything. Urban Ore accepts doors, windows, and other household/construction items for reuse. 



For information about disposal programs for hazardous waste from residences and small businesses: Please see the StopWaste.org and Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste Program web sites or call the Alameda County Household Hazardous Waste Hotline at 800-606-6606.

Also, we do not accept most Universal Waste. Please ask the attendant for more information.

For information on required hazardous waste management standards please go to:  https://dtsc.ca.gov/accumulating-hazardous-wastes-at-generator-sites/  

Transfer Station Public Notices: Solid Waste Facility Permit

There is a Transfer Station Unsecured Load Fee of $15 for vehicles arriving with uncovered loads.  

TRANSFER STATION RATES: Effective as of January 1, 2010





 Minimum charge for load of 330 pounds or less*


 Per ton, prorated basis for loads greater than 330 lbs




 Minimum charge for load of 330 pounds or less*


 Per ton




see note$

 If customer separates all compostables:


 Minimum charge for load of 330 pounds or less*


 Per ton


 If customer does not separate all compostables:


 Minimum charge for load of 330 pounds or less*


 Per ton





 Refrigerated appliance


 Mattress or box spring*


 Automobile tire


 Truck tire


 Propane tank


 TV/monitor/CRT per each item over 2 (1st 2 are free)





 Prepaid Refuse Bag


 Prepaid Plant Debris Bag


* Minimum used for rate per cubic yard if scale is inoperable, estimate of volume to nearest half cubic yard.

$ The Alameda County Plant Debris Landfill Ban requires that any self-haul load (containing at least 10% plant debris) be separated for composting. The "mixed load" that's separated upon delivery by the customer will be weighed and charged at the standard Refuse rate. A customer who does not separate plant debris from refuse will have a surcharge for the load, which is 50% of the refuse rate.

*California residents may drop off up to two mattresses (including futon mattresses) or box springs at no charge. Commercial customers pay the standard rate for all mattresses and box springs.

If you have questions about the rates, please contact Customer Service.

Thank you for using the Berkeley Transfer Station for your recycling, composting and refuse disposal needs.

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Department of Public Works, 2180 Milvia Street, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: publicworks@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-6300
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903