Translation Disclaimer

Department of Planning & Development
Department of Planning & Development

Additional Requirements Triggered by Building Permit Submittal

Carbon Monoxide Detectors   

If a permit is issued for a residential building, carbon monoxide detectors must be installed, if they have not already been installed.  Smoke_Detector

Smoke Detectors    

Smoke detectors must be installed in residential buildings if the building permit valuation is $1,000 or more. 

Gas Shut-off Valves  

If the value of construction work exceeds $50,000, gas shut-off valves must be installed per Berkeley Municipal Code section 19.34.040.

Water Conserving Plumbing Fixtures   Low flow showerheads

For alterations, additions or improvements to residential or commercial buildings, all non-compliant plumbing fixtures must be replaced with water-conserving plumbing fixtures. 


 When alterations or additions are made to existing buildings or facilities, an accessible path of travel to the specific area of alteration or addition shall be provided, per California Building Code Section 11B-202.4. The primary accessible path of travel shall include:

  1.  A primary entrance to the building or facility,  
  2.  Toilet and bathing facilities serving the area,  
  3.  Drinking fountains serving the area,
  4.  Public telephones serving the area, and
  5.  Signs.    

Plans shall provide detailed information for all the existing and proposed exterior and interior disabled access features associated with the proposed coAccessible sign with braille wheelchairnstruction. Note: If the project does not exceed a construction valuation threshold of $166,157.00, an exception may be granted if the enforcing agency determines that full compliance with any building standard creates an unreasonable hardship. To be considered for such a determination, please include two copies of the City of Berkeley’s  Application for Unreasonable Hardship Exception  with the drawings, completely filled-out and signed by all requested parties. Such a determination is not a blanket exemption but, rather limits the required cost of accessibility upgrades to 20% of the cost of the project

Private Sewer Lateral (PSL)  

Sewer lines on private property must be inspected and replaced or repaired when the value of construction work exceeds $60,000. You will be required to submit a Sewer Lateral Certificate (SLC) from the Public Works Department proving the private sewer lateral is less than 20 years old or has been repaired with the prior seven years before receiving a building permit for your remodeling project(s). If you do not submit the Sewer Lateral Certificate, the city will issue a plan check correction notice indicating you need to provide a copy of a Sewer Lateral Certificate before a building permit will be issued. Alternatively, the owner may replace the entire private sewer lateral without prior inspection or testing. Private Sewer Lateral Compliance Questions: (510) 981-6423. For more information, see  Public Works sewer lateral.

Waste Diversion

The City of Berkeley adopted local amendments to the California Green Building Standards Code. For a list of project types that are subject to waste diversion requirements, and information about permitting and inspection requirements, see Construction & Demolition Waste Diversion Requirements.

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Department of Planning & Development, 1947 Center Street, 3rd Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-7400
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903