Translation Disclaimer

Rent Stabilization Board
Rent Stabilization Board



The Rent Stabilization Board approved Resolution 19-09 which authorized landlords to pass through a portion of this year’s fee for tenancies that commenced prior to January 1, 1999. 

Landlords may pass through up to  $10.00 per month for 12 consecutive months after they pay their 2019-2020 registration fee and provide their tenants and the Rent Board at least thirty days’ prior written notice of the increase.  Resolution 19-09 also allows tenants with a combined household income limit of 50% of Alameda County’s Area Median Income (AMI) (as calculated by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) for the "Very Low Income" limit) to receive reimbursement for the pass-through.

In order to qualify for the reimbursement, tenants must provide proof of income eligibility for the household (i.e. everyone who resides in the unit) and must receive approval from our office.  The table below outlines the annual income eligibility standards.  

Number of Occupants Annual Household Income
One Person $43,400
Two People $49,600
Three People $55,800
Four People $61,950
Five People $66,950
Six People $71,900
Seven People $76,850
Eight People $81,800

To begin the verification process, please call Matthew Siegel at the Berkeley Rent Board at (510) 981-4903.  The information you provide is strictly confidential and your landlord will not see it.  Please keep in mind that each household can only claim one reimbursement so the first member to claim the reimbursement will receive it.  Tenants will need the following information/documents in order to receive the reimbursement:

  • Notice of rent increase from landlord
  • Proof of identity (e.g., government issued identification card)
  • Proof of income (e.g., current benefit statement, prior year's tax return)
  • Proof of residency at address (e.g., utility bill or ID card with name and address)

Instructions and Sample Form to Pass Through Increased Registration Fees to Tenancies Commenced Prior to 1/1/99




Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Rent Stabilization Board, 2125 Milvia Street, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-7368
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903