Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Rent Stabilization Board
Rent Stabilization Board


Virtually all of the 26,000 rental units in the City of Berkeley are covered by some portion of the Rent Stabilization and Eviction for Good Cause Ordinance (the Ordinance).  There are over 19,000 rental units in Berkeley whose rents are currently regulated. Since January of 1999, landlords have had the right to set the initial rent for new tenancies, and then subsequent rent increases in units fully covered by the Ordinance are limited by the Rent Board. This type of rent control is known as vacancy decontrol. In addition, with few exceptions, even Berkeley tenants who don't live in rent-controlled units are protected under the "Eviction for Good Cause" section of the Ordinance.

Is My Property Covered By Rent Control?
In most cases, all rented units in multi-family buildings are covered by rent control. Find out if your rental unit is covered

How Much Rent Can I Charge My Tenants?
Each rental unit fully covered by the Rent Ordinance has a rent ceiling, which is the maximum rent a landlord can charge for a particular unit. The rent ceiling limits the amount a landlord can increase the rent. You can look up your unit's rent ceiling online.  Please see our tips for understanding your search results and correcting inaccuracies.  

Rental Unit Registration
Rented units that are fully covered by the Rent Ordinance, and most units that are partially covered by the Rent Ordinance must register with the Rent Board and pay an annual registration fee.

Eviction Process
Almost all tenants in Berkeley have eviction protections, even those in newer buildings not covered by rent control - know your rights and responsibilities.    

Security Deposit Interest
The Ordinance requires landlords to pay interest on their security deposits both annually and at the end of a tenancy. Learn more about security deposits

Mediation & Petition Process
The Rent Board offers free mediation services to landlords and tenants who need help resolving residential tenancy-related matters. Landlords of fully covered units can also petition the Rent Board and receive a hearing and a legal determination on several matters including, but not limited to individual rent adjustments, exempt status, and occupancy status. For more information visit the petition process page.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) 



Annual General Adjustment (AGA) 

  Security Deposit Information   

My Rent Ceiling

How to understand your search results and correct inaccuracies.

Learn About Evictions

Landlord's Toolkit

The following tools will help rental property owners locate resources and information to help navigate Rent Board regulations and deal with various rental property issues:

For questions or additional information related to owning or managing rental property in Berkeley, please contact a Rent Board Housing Counselor by e-mail at rent@cityofberkeley.info or by calling 510-981-RENT (7368).

Translation:  We speak Spanish, Cantonese and Mandarin.

Se habla Español. We Can Speak Chinese





Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Rent Stabilization Board, 2125 Milvia Street, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: rent@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-7368
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903