Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Rent Stabilization Board
Rent Stabilization Board


All rental units covered by the Ordinance should be registered annually by July 1st of each year.  Because July 1st falls on a Sunday this year, all units must be registered by Monday, July 2, 2018.

If registration fees are not paid on time, the penalty is 100%.  If you rent out a unit that was formerly exempt, then you must register the unit within 60 days of date that the unit became covered by the Ordinance.

ANNUAL REGISTRATION FEES OF $250 PER UNIT WERE DUE MONDAY, JULY 2, 2018. The Rent Stabilization Ordinance requires that payments not received in the Rent Board Office or postmarked by the due date be assessed at 100% penalty. Rental units must be properly registered in order to take rent increases and/or evict tenants. Most property owners may be eligible for a waiver of part or all of the penalty fees if their account is fully paid on or before August 30, 2018. If you have any questions about the registration status of your property, please contact the Rent Board at (510) 981-7368 and ask for our Registration Unit.

At its special meeting on May 7, 2018, the Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board adopted Resolution 18-05 setting the Fiscal Year 2018/2019 Annual Registration Fee at $250 per unit effective July 1, 2018 (the fee is due on July 2nd this year). The Board also adopted Resolution 18-06 authorizing, with proper notice, the pass-through of up to $10.00 per month to tenants where the tenancy began prior to January 1, 1999. The Pass-Through may be taken for 12 consecutive months. It cannot begin prior to July 1, 2018, and must terminate no later than December 31, 2019, unless extended by future Board action. The increase shall not result in a pass-through of greater than $10.00 per month to any tenant. The Resolution also directs staff to continue a program/mechanism that allows low-income tenants with a household income of 50% or less of the Area Median Income (AMI) or "Ver Low Income" limit as calculated by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), or otherwise demonstrating proof of qualification as low-income, to be reimbursed for the pass-through. Funds for the reimbursement would come from the AEPHI tenant overcharge settlement, which, pursuant to Board Regulation 1271(B), must be used for the benefit of low-income tenants. 

Please contact the Rent Stabilization Board at 510-981-7368 (981-RENT) for more information.   

If you are a first-time user, we strongly recommend that you read our “Guide to Getting Started” and our “Frequently Asked Questions”.

Many of the links below lead to PDF files that require Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed on your computer.
You can
 download Acrobat Reader for free. 

2017-2018 Registration Materials mailed to Berkeley landlords:   

Questions about Tenants' Pass-Through Reimbursement?

** Need a VACANCY REGISTRATION FORM? Click here to download a Vacancy Registration Form! **   

Registration Forms:

Information Regarding Summer Rental Registration Fee for Fraternities and Sororities:

If you have any questions or need further information regarding the Summer Registration Fee for fraternities or sororities, please contact Staff Attorney Matthew Siegel via e-mail at msiegel@cityofberkeley.info or by phone at (510) 981-4903. 

 Resolutions regarding Registration:  


Prior Year 


Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Rent Stabilization Board, 2125 Milvia Street, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: rent@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-7368
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903