Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Rent Stabilization Board
Rent Stabilization Board

The Berkeley Rent Board Mailbag

Separate Agreements

Q: I have been subletting a furnished apartment for a year, and I am thinking of re-signing the lease to stay on for another year. I actually signed three agreements when I moved in: one for the apartment, one for the furniture, and one for the parking space. Can the person I'm subletting from raise the rent on all three if I agree to another year?

First, the sublessor can charge you no more than the legal rent ceiling that the owner would be eligible to charge the sublessor for occupancy of the rental unit. As for the furniture and parking, if those items are rented to you under a lawful separate agreement, the sublessor may attempt to charge you more, but you are not obligated to continue renting the services. In fact, either party can cancel a separate agreement by serving the other party with a 30-day written notice of cancellation. If furnishings and parking are regulated housing services for your unit, then the sublessor may not charge you a separate fee for them at all.

It is currently permissible for housing services, like furniture and parking, to be rented separately if they were not included in the base or initial rent. (The base rent for most units is the rent charged in 1980.) Regulation 1012 provides that such a separate agreement for unregulated housing services should be in a separate document from the lease or rental agreement, and (1) must not be a condition of tenancy; (2) must have commercially reasonable terms; and (3) their termination cannot be used as a ground for eviction.

Assuming that the furniture belongs to your sublessor, it was probably not a base year housing service. Similarly, if there are fewer parking spaces than apartments in the building, parking may not have been included in the unit's base year rent. However, if the sublessor first rented the unit after January 1, 1999, then the housing services initially provided to the sublessor are the regulated housing services for your unit, regardless of what housing services were provided in the base year. If you have questions concerning the housing services provided with your unit, you should check the records at the Rent Board office.



Have a question?  Email us at rent@ci.berkeley.ca.us

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Rent Stabilization Board, 2125 Milvia Street, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: rent@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-7368
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903