Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Department of Public Works
Department of Public Works

Residential Properties Recycling Services

COVID-19 Service Information: Commercial and residential refuse, compost, and recycling collection continues as regularly scheduled. The Transfer Station and Berkeley Recycling Center are open to the public. Face coverings and social distancing required.

See COVID-19 service notices for a full list of changes to City services during the pandemic.

Berkeley Recycling Program Now Includes All Plastic Containers PlasticContainers

Berkeley’s residential and commercial curbside recycling programs now accept any clean, rigid plastic containers. This includes the Ecology Center’s residential curbside collection, the City’s commercial recycling collection, and drop-off of recyclables at the City-owned Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) operated by the Community Conservation Center (CCC).

For complete details on plastics that are acceptable and are not acceptable for recycling - go to the Berkeley Recyclng Services page.

Split Cart closedThe Ecology Center provides the City’s residential recycling collection for properties with 1 - 9 units; for additional information or service questions, please contact them by phone at (510) 527-5555 or by email to Recycling@EcologyCenter.org.

Properties with 10 or more units receive commercial services; for additional information see Commercial Recycling Services.

There is no recycling collection on these holidays: Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, or New Year's Day. On these holidays, collection will be 1-day later.

Poaching: the removal of recyclable materials from curbside is a crime that deprives the City's recycling program of needed revenue. Please report recycling theft to the Ecology Center at (510) 527-5555, and include a description of the poacher, vehicle license number and/or description of poacher's vehicle if possible. For your safety, do not confront the thieves. Discourage poaching by setting out your material on collection morning instead of the night before.

Compost Program

Plant Debris, Food Waste and Food Soiled Papers can be composted in your green cart. For more information, see Plant Debris & Food Waste Collection, which includes information about Home Composting. You can also contact Customer Service.

  • Fruit and vegetable trimmings can also be placed in a backyard compost bin or worm bin to produce nutritious soil for your garden. Call The Rotline at (510) 444-SOIL for more information and classes, or check www.StopWaste.org.

Other Residential Materials
  • Plastic Bags: Please remove food residue and recycle these at most supermarkets and farmers' markets. Ask a supermarket clerk where the bag recycling station is located, or look for a container in the market. Some dry-cleaners also accept used plastic garment bags. 
  • Foam Pellets: Many packing/mailing stores will reuse your packing pellets (peanuts) and bubble-wrap. Find a store nearby and bring them in a securely tied plastic bag or box. 

Bulky Waste Pick-Up

The City offers a bulky waste pick-up by appointment once a year for residents in properties with 1 - 4 units. For more information, see Bulky Waste Pick-up Guidelines or contact Customer Service to schedule an appointment.

Back to Top


Recycling for Residential Properties with 10 or more Units

Multi-Family Recycling: The Alameda County Mandatory Recycling Ordinance requires that all residential properties with 5 or more units have adequate recycling service and information for their tenants. City crews collect recyclables from apartment buildings of 10 or more units as part of Commercial Recycling Services. Blue rolling recycling carts are provided for glass, cans and plastic bottles and for mixed paper and cardboard.

Posters for recycling areas and replacement recycling cart stickers are available by calling Customer Service at 311 (or 510-981-7270). These informative Recycling Posters, and Recycling Guides for Property Managers and Tenants, will support you in meeting mandatory recycling requirements. For additional details, see this Alameda County Recycling web page: http://www.recyclingrulesac.org/.  

To request new recycling service or a change in service, Property Owners or Managers for buildings with 10 or more units can call 311 in Berkeley (or 510-981-7270) or send an email to Customer Service. See additional online information at Customer Service. City staff will conduct a site visit to verify service needs, set-out locations and service days.   

All recycling carts are collected at the curb, and Property Managers must arrange for carts to be placed there by 7:00 AM on their assigned service day, and removed from the curb within 24 hours of service. Large apartment buildings that may warrant large metal bin service for paper & cardboard can request review and approval by the site inspector.

Property Managers: you should make recycling convenient for tenants and ideally in the same location as the refuse bin; also, make sure there is adequate refuse service, and address any recycling contamination issues to prevent a lapse or discontinuance of recycling service.

The City also provides green compost carts for Multi-Family Organics collection of plant debris and/or food scraps. Organics collection is charged at 80% of the refuse rate.

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Department of Public Works, 2180 Milvia Street, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: publicworks@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-6300
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903