Translation Disclaimer

Department of Public Works
Department of Public Works

Disposing of Used Motor Oil

Used motor oil can be cleaned and recycled directly into new lubricating oils. Disposing of it in sewers or garbage pollutes the land or Bay, and carries substantial fines. The oil and metal in oil filters can also be recycled.

There are 9 convenient recycling locations in Berkeley for people who change their own oil. Each of them will pay you for your oil, or provide a coupon for new purchases. Your oil must be in containers of 5 gallons or smaller, and have a screw-top lid. Some centers also accept oil filters and anti-freeze.

Please bring only motor oil or hydraulic fluid: no brake fluid, antifreeze, solvents or other substances. Use these facilities only if you change oil in your own vehicles or for your own business' vehicles. If you are in business changing oil for others, you must contract with a private hauler, listed under "oil” in your phone directory. 

Other Household Hazardous Wastes

Alameda County residents and small businesses can use the Alameda County Hazardous Waste Disposal facility. There is no charge. Batteries, paint, pesticides, solvents, cleaning fluids, and other hazardous materials do not belong in household trash or down the drain, because they can pollute water supplies. To properly dispose of these materials call 800-606-6606 or to find out when you can bring your items to their North Oakland location. 

Non-Hazardous Alternative Products: Call The Berkeley Ecology Center at (510) 548-2220 for information on alternatives to using hazardous products.

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Department of Public Works, 2180 Milvia Street, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-6300
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903