Translation Disclaimer

Transportation Division
Transportation Division

Block Party Activity

Information pertaining to block party permits and necessary requirements.

“Block party” means a gathering, sponsored solely by owners, residents or tenants of properties fronting a street, which causes a closure of the entire street, or a portion thereof, to vehicular traffic and use of the street for the gathering.

The deadline for submission of applications for block party permits is 3:00 p.m. on the Wednesday prior to the weekend when the event is proposed to take place.

Block Party Application Form and Guidelines click here PDF

(If you cannot access the application form online please contact the Transportation Division 510-981-7010)

These regular guidelines shall apply to all temporary local street closures for block parties or similar activity granted under the authority of Berkeley Municipal Code, Sections 13.44.010 and 13.44.030.

  1. A 20-foot wide emergency access lane shall be maintained at all times throughout the closure.
  2. Residents abutting the closure shall have pedestrian and vehicle access to their properties at all times.
  3. The activity is sponsored solely by owners, residents, or tenants of properties fronting the street to be closed.
  4. Closures shall generally be limited to other than normal business hours.
  5. All closures shall be permitted during the same hours listed in the Noise Ordinance of the Berkeley Municipal Code, Section 13.40.100. These hours are from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. The loudest noise permitted is 10dBA above the ambient level at a distance of 50 feet from the sound amplifying speakers.
  6. All necessary permits shall be obtained from the City of Berkeley.
  7. Barricades shall be picked up from and returned to the Sign Shop Office in Building F at the West end of the Corporation Yard (1326 Allston Way).  Pick-up must be on the last working day before the street closure, normally Friday, 1:00 - 3:30 p.m. ONLY.    Drop-off must be on the first working day after the street closure, normally Monday, between 7:30 - 10:00 a.m. You will be charged an extra fee for not returning the barricades, for returning them late, and/or for returning them damaged.  For City Holiday and Reduced Service days, click here.
  8. The street and sidewalk area shall be cleaned of all debris and litter.
  9. Local street closures for Block Party Activities are granted upon completion of the permit application unless there is a conflicting event in the area. If the request is denied, an appeal may be made to the City Manager and/or City Council.
  10. THE CURRENT BLOCK PARTY PERMIT FEE IS $15, payable by check, money order, or credit card.
Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Transportation Division, 1947 Center Street, 4th Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-7010
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903