See our Omicron surge page for up-to-date guidance on testing, vaccination, masking, isolation, and quarantine.

Emergency Regional Stay Home Order. Bay Area ICUs are near capacity. Stay home except for essential tasks. Keep errands short. Don't gather with anyone outside your household. Cancel plans for non-essential travel. Learn more.

Translation Disclaimer

Department of Public Works
Department of Public Works

Frequently Asked Questions 

How do I get the bulb in a burned-out street light replaced?

Report malfunctioning City-owned street lights by calling (510) 981-CITY (2489) or by submitting a request through the Online Service Center. It is helpful if you can provide the street light number (4-5 digit alpha numeric) which is located on the street side of the pole, vertically, at approximately 5 feet from the ground.

Why hasn't the pothole on my street been repaired?

Unfortunately, we do not have the staff power to keep a continual watch on all City streets. When there is a problem, we appreciate your bringing it to our attention. Please submit an electronic request through the Online Service Center or call Customer Service at (510) 981-CITY (2489) as soon as possible.

Will you pick up a dead animal in the street or elsewhere?

Please call Animal Care Services at (510) 981-6600. Additional information is available at

I think there is antifreeze leaking into the storm drain.

If you see oil, caustic items, or any other hazardous liquids going into a storm drain, please report it by calling Toxics Management at (510) 981-7460.

I want to report a missing street name sign or stop sign.

Please call Customer Service at (510) 981-CITY (2489) as soon as possible. If you want to ask for a new sign to be installed or have other traffic control questions, please contact the Public Works Transportation Division at (510) 981-7010.

I have a broken/used appliance/computer/mattress. How can I get rid of it?

You can take these items to the City's Transfer Station at 1201 Second Street. These items require an additional special handling fee to recycle. These fees and additional information can be found at For additional questions, contact Customer Service at (510) 981-CITY (2489).

My garbage/recycling pick-up was missed.

Please contact Customer Service at (510) 981-CITY (2489).

I need a plant debris cart.

Call Customer Service at (510) 981-CITY (2489) with your name, address, and telephone number to order a plant debris cart.

Who do I call to report a water leak, broken water main or hit hydrant?

The East Bay Municipal Utility District (EBMUD) provides water service to residents of Berkeley. If you have a concern about water leaking on your property, a broken water main or a hit hydrant please call EBMUD's 24-hour customer service line at 1-866-403-2683. EBMUD is responsible for repair of leaks on the street side of the meter and the meter itself. Any pipe repairs on the customer side of the meter are the responsibility of the customer. Additional information is available at their website at

If the water has a sewage odor or is the result of a rain storm or an unknown source, please call Customer Service at (510) 981-CITY (2489).

Who trims a tree limb obstructing a sidewalk, traffic sign, street light, or other public right-of-way?

The Parks, Recreation, and Waterfront Department is responsible for maintaining City street trees. Call the Parks Division Field Office, Forestry Unit at (510) 981-6660 or send an email to to request this service. More information is available at


Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Department of Public Works, 2180 Milvia Street, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-6300
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903