Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Department of Public Works
Department of Public Works


Department of Public Works

Printable version

Disability-Related Resources

City of Berkeley Programs

Police Department ADA Service Coordinator, Lieutenant Ricco Rolleri
(510) 981-5970, (510) 981-5799 (TTY)

Public Library
Services for Patrons with Disabilities,
Sarah Dentan, Acting Deputy Director, (510) 981-6195, (510) 548-1240 (TTY)

Public Works
(information about City accessibility, accommodations, and disability programs)
Disability Compliance Program, Public Works
(510) 981-6418, (510) 981-6347 (TTY)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

(Complaints or questions about accessibility for privately owned buildings.  Complaints should be filed in writing)
Building and Safety: (510) 981-7440

City Council Meetings
(Council meeting accommodations, sign language interpreters, large print, etc.)
City Clerk Department: (510) 981-6900, (510) 981-6903 (TTY)

Commission on Disability: (510) 981-6341, (510) 981-6347 (TTY)

Curb Ramps (Problem or Need)
Engineering Division: (510) 981-6466

Employment and Workers Compensation
(Information about City of Berkeley jobs, application procedures, reasonable accommodations)
Human Resources: (510) 981-6800, (510) 981-6830 (TTY)

Paratransit (see also East Bay Paratransit)
(registration for subsidized taxi or van service)
Housing Department: (510) 981-7269

Parking Spaces (blue curb installation)
Office of Transportation: (510) 981-6433



 Parking Enforcement
Police Department Dispatch Center: (510) 981-5890

Sidewalks (repair)
Engineering Division: (510) 981-6466

Federal, State, and Private Programs

Alta Bates Disabled Community Health Clinic, 2001 Dwight Way, (510) 204-4738

Americans with Disabilities Act Hotline
http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm or www.ADA.gov
(Call to obtain answers to general and technical questions about the ADA and to order technical assistance materials), (800) 514-0301 (voice), (800) 514-0383 (TTY)

California Relay Service, if you do not have a TDD, (800) 735-2922 or 711

Center for Independent Living, 2539 Telegraph Avenue, Berkeley
(answers questions regarding housing, ramp building, job placement, benefit counseling, SSDI, Medi-Cal, Medicare, attendant services), (510) 841-4776, (510) 356-2662 (video-phone)

Pacific ADA Center
(answers questions regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act-employment, state and local government & private business)
(800) 949-4232, (510) 285-5600 (voice & TTY)

Disability Rights Education and Defense Fund (DREDF): (510) 644-2555, (510) 841-8645 FAX

East Bay Center for the Blind, 2928 Adeline Street, (510) 843-6935

East Bay Paratransit http://www.rideo.org/paratransit/eastbay.html 
(van transportation by appointment for eligible applicants)
Information and Assistance: (510) 287-5000
Toll Free Number: (800) 555-8085
Ride Reservations: (510) 287-5040
Cancel A Ride: (510) 287-5035
FAX: (510) 287-5069
TTY: (510) 287-5065

Easy Does It Disabled Emergency Services (emergency attendant services, transportation) www.easydoesitservices.org (510) 845-5513
24-Hr. Service: (510) 704-2111

EEOC (Federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Oakland office):
(510) 637-3230, (510) 637-3234 (TTY)

Fair Employment & Housing (State and Consumer Services Agency)
Employment/Public Accommodations: 1-800-884-1684
Housing: 1-800-233-3212 (Within California), 1-510-622-2945 (Outside California)
Hate Violence: 1-800-884-1684
TTY: 1-800-700-2320 (Within California)

Job Accommodations Network: (800) 526-7234 (V/TTY)

Division of the State Architect (answers questions regarding State Title 24 accessibility requirements): (916) 445-8100

Social Security Administration: (800) 772-1213, TTY: (800) 325-0778

State Disability Insurance Office (California Employment Development Department) http://www.edd.ca.gov/
(answers questions regarding short-term disability), (800) 480-3287
Disability Insurance: (TTY) 1-800-563-2441
Employment Tax: (TTY) 1-800-547-9565
Unemployment Insurance: (TTY) 1-800-815-9387

Transportation (see Easy Does It, East Bay Paratransit)

Berkeley City College Disabled Student Center
2050 Center Street, (510) 981-2812 or (510) 981-2813,

University of California
Disability Compliance Officer (510) 643-8996.
http://disability.compliance.berkeley.edu (for academic compliance and disability standards)
Disability Resolution Officer: (510) 642-2795 (voice or TTY),

Disabled Students Program: (510) 642-0518 (voice), (510) 642-6376 (TTY),

Workers Compensation (California Department of Industrial Relations)
http://www.dir.ca.gov/, (866) 681-1459


Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Department of Public Works, 2180 Milvia Street, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: publicworks@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-6300
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903