Translation Disclaimer

Police Department
Police Department

Police Badge Stylized 4Complaints and Concerns 

How to file a complaint with the Berkeley Police Department, Internal Affairs Bureau 

Personnel complaints are recognized as a very important reflection of the way the community feels about its police departments.  Your concerns or complaints about the acts of an employee or practice of the police department allow us to evaluate both our department practices and effectiveness of our employees. 

The Internal Affairs Bureau is organized under the supervision of two Sergeants who report directly to the Chief of Police.  IAB investigates all externally received complaints alleging employee misconduct.  IAB may also investigate internally initiated complaints of misconduct as directed by the Chief of Police. 

If you wish to file a complaint, you may do so by phone, by email, or in person at the Public Safety Building.  The Internal Affairs complaint form can be downloaded here. 

During regular business hours, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, complaints should be made to one of the Sergeants in the Internal Affairs Bureau, located in the Public Safety Building, 2100 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, (510) 981-5706.

At all other times, or when a member of the Internal Affairs Bureau is not available, complaints may be taken by a command or supervisory officer , they can be reached throught he Communications Center by calling (510) 981-5900.

Community members may also choose to pursue their complaints through the Police Review Commission (PRC), Complaints can be made directly to PRC.  If a complaint is made to PRC, the Internal Affairs Bureau will also conduct its own independent investigation into the matter. 

Additional information regarding PRC can be found at









Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Police Department, 2100 Martin Luther King, Jr. Way, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-5900
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903