Translation Disclaimer

Permit Service Center
Permit Service Center

Permits via Fax

The City of Berkeley accepts and issues permits for minor work via the Fax machine, with payment by MasterCard or Visa credit card sent to (510) 981-7505.

To use this service for construction permits, please fill out the Credit card authorization / Fax permit application along with the correction permit application. Your contractor will need to have a current City of Berkeley business license and workers' compensation information. Work for which a permit will be processed are limited to the following:


  • Roofing (when no additional weight is being added)

  • Payment of re-inspection or overtime inspection fee

  • Permit Extensions


  • Service upgrade or change

  • Electrical for remodeling or new projects


  • Replacement of heaters or furnaces

  • New gas lines

  • Utility inspections for PG&E



  • Right-of-way

Approval of Plans
The Permit Service Center (PSC) will email you when you when your project has been approved by all agencies.  Please ensure that the PSC has a valid email address.

Correction Letters via Email
The Permit Service Center (PSC) now has the ability to email correction letters.  To ensure you can benefit from this service, please proved the PSC with your e-mail address when submitting for a permit.  We will continue to mail correction letters when an email address is not available.  (This process may take between 3-5 days.)  Any questions, please contact any Permit Service Center Staff. 

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Permit Service Center, 1947 Center St, 3rd Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-7500
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903