Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Permit Service Center
Permit Service Center

General Information

A Licensed Contractor will need a valid City of Berkeley Business License to obtain a construction permit in the City of Berkeley. All businesses operating in the City of Berkeley ARE required to have a current business license for each location.  If you are opening a new business, buying an existing business, or transferring a business to your ownership, you must apply for a new Business License under your name.   

If you Starting or Expanding a Business, review our Business Location Checklist. It focuses on the development review process, including business licenses, zoning review, and building permits.

Get an estimated Fee for your building permit by e-mailing planning@cityofberkeley.info with the property address, valuation of the project, and the scope of work.

The Parcel Search Application provides the development conditions and building permit history for a specific address or parcel number, along with an interactive map, which displays the parcel number and zoning for adjacent parcels.

The Overview of the Permitting Process provides details on the four steps in the process: zoning approval, building permit, construction/inspection and modifications to approved plans. 


Effective March 1, 2009, State law (Health and Safety Code Section 19825) requires certain forms be filed by owner builders before obtaining a permit. If you are not using a licensed contractor to perform the work, you must fill out and return to the Permit Service Center the Owner Builder Verification & Limitation of Sale Forms before obtaining a permit. 

If you are using an authorized agent (i.e., a relative, friend or permitting service company) to obtain the building permit, you must fill out and return to the Permit Service Center the Authorization of Agent Form before obtaining a permit.

Procedures for Owner Builder Permit Applicants 
  • Supplemental 1: Owner-Builder Verification of Information and Limitation of Sale
  • Supplemental 2: Authorization of Agent for Owner

    Lead Safety

    The EPA's Lead Renovation, Repair and Painting (RRP) Rule requires that firms performing renovation, repair and painting projects that disturb lead-based paint in pre-1978 housing and child-occupied facilities have their firm certified by the EPA and follow lead-safe work practices. Buildings built before 1978 are likely to contain lead-based paint. Find a Lead-Safe Certified Firm. Contractors, Apply for Lead-Safe Certification. In general, any activity that disturbs paint is covered by the rule, including:

    • Remodeling and repair/maintenance
    • Electrical work
    • Plumbing
    • Painting preparation
    • Carpentry
    • Window replacement


    Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
    Permit Service Center, 1947 Center St, 3rd Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
    Questions or comments? Email: permits@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-7500
    (510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
    TTY: (510) 981-6903