Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Department of Planning & Development
Department of Planning & Development

What is a Use Permit?

Use Permits (UP) are required for the use of land or land development when required by the Zoning Ordinance, typically for projects that have potential for negative impacts on the surrounding neighborhood.  A UP is issued by the Zoning Adjustments Board after a public hearing, and may be appealed to the City Council by any aggrieved body.

Below is a list of frequently asked questions:

Relevant Quick Links:

When is a UP required?
The Zoning Ordinance specifies which projects require an UP, including, but not limited to, the following:

  • New buildings

  • Adding or removing dwelling units

  • Specific uses of existing or new commercial buildings including but not limited to:  retail sale of alcoholic beverages, food service, smoke shops, pet stores

  • Childcare centers

How are neighbors involved? 
Before applying for a UP in, or adjacent to, a residential zoning district, applicants must give surrounding neighbors an opportunity to review the project plans and indicate any concerns they may have (see "Neighbors' Signatures Instructions").  The purpose of this requirement is to help identify and resolve major concerns early in the process, and alert staff to any unresolved issues. Neighbors are welcome to submit written comments to staff at any point during the process. Written comments provided prior to the public hearing will be distributed to Commission members.  Verbal testimony can be provided at the meeting.

What if neighbors oppose a project? 
Whenever possible, staff encourages applicants and neighbors to work together to resolve outstanding concerns.  SEEDS Community Resolution Center provides mediation services on behalf of the city, and in many cases can help achieve compromise.  If there are outstanding concerns staff must determine whether these concerns warrant modification or denial of the project.

How does the ZAB decide whether to approve a UP? 
To approve an UP, the ZAB must find that the project would not be “detrimental” to neighbors or to the City’s general welfare, and make any other findings required by the Zoning Ordinance. Staff may place conditions on a project if necessary to make the required findings or promote the public welfare.


"Detriment" is determined on a case-by-case basis, depending on the project type and setting. Staff can provide further guidance during preliminary review as to whether or not a particular project may cause detriment. A project may be considered detrimental if it has the following impacts:


a) Residential areas:

  • Substantial loss of direct sunlight or privacy in a dwelling or an adjacent dwelling

  • Unreasonable obstruction of a neighbor’s significant view

  • Construction that is incompatible with the scale and character of the neighborhood

b) Commercial areas:

  • Excessive traffic, noise or odors

  • Incompatibility with surrounding businesses

Back to top

How do I apply for a UP? 
Applications must be filed in person at the Permit Service Center , and must include all of the applicable requirements listed in the "Zoning Project Submittal Requirements".  Minimum requirements include (but are not limited to):  

  • Application fees (see Fee Schedule)
  • Application form with owner's signature
  • Signatures from neighbors (for projects in & adjacent to residential zoning district)
  • Photo of posted project notice
  • Written description of project
  • Site plan, floor plans, and elevations
  • Additional information may be required to demonstrate that the project will not have a negative impact on the environment or neighborhood.

Starting January 1, 2016, applications for the following project types may only be submitted via an Appointment:

  • Wireless Telecommunications Facilities

Starting May 2, 2016, applications for the following project types may be submitted via an Appointment:

  • Non-residential projects in a Residential district
  • New construction or ”major” renovation of a Landmarked building or site or Structure of Merit  
  • Any new main building  
  • Master Use Permit or Development Permit required by a Specific Plan  

Appointments will be offered Fridays from 9AM to Noon & 1PM and 4PM, on May 6 and May 27, with additional dates to follow.

To schedule an appointment:

  • call 510-981-7410, or
  • send an email to planning@cityofberkeley.info, or
  • visit the Zoning Counter in the Permit Service Center at 1947 Center Street, 3rd floor.

How long does it take?  

UP applications that are complete when submitted and do not require environmental review, major revisions or mediation are typically processed with the timeline shown in the table below. Once an application is filed, applicants can check with the assigned planner to get a more precise time estimate.  Applicants can help reduce the time required to process an UP by doing the following:   




  • Seeking input from affected neighbors before finalizing plans
  • Bring plans to staff for preliminary review before filing application
  • Submit professionally prepared drawings and materials that are internally consistent
  • Carefully review the Zoning Project Submittal Requirements and ensure that all application and zoning requirements are met


UPPH Tier 1

  • All projects not listed in Tier 2, nor Mixed Use Projects 

6-12 months

UPPH Tier 2

  • Non-residential projects in a Residential district
  • New construction or ”major” renovation of a Landmarked building or site or Structure of Merit  
  • Any new main building  
  • Master Use Permit or Development Permit required by a Specific Plan  

9-15 months

UPPH Mixed Use Projects

12-24 months

UP Modification – No public hearing required

2-4 months

UP Modification – Public hearing required

4-6 months

  What is the process?
Acknowledgement of receipt of an application and assignment of a project planner will be mailed to the applicant within one week.  Application will be accepted as complete or additional information will be required within 30 days of submittal. The majority of applications submitted are incomplete. The project planner will provide a letter outlining the required materials that are missing. When these materials are submitted, the project planner will again review the application for completeness.

After an application is deemed complete, the staff planner will complete project analysis. Next, the staff planner will work with the applicant team and ZAB secretary to place the project on a Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) agenda. A notice of the public hearing before the ZAB will be mailed to all property owners and residents within 300 feet of the project site and posted at least 14 days before the public hearing.  For more detailed information on the ZAB process see the "Guide to the Zoning Adjustments Board."

If the project is located in a non-residential zoning district, referral to and recommendation from the Design Review Committee is required prior to ZAB consideration.

If the Use Permit also involves the alteration or demolition of an initiated or designated landmark, an Alteration Permit application must be submitted and separately reviewed by the Landmarks Preservation Commission. Staff will coordinate review to ensure that necessary information is available for all decision-makers.

Following the ZAB decision, staff will mail a Notice of Decision, which starts a 14-day appeal period.  If appealed, City Council consideration is generally scheduled within two or three months.  The City Council has the following options: 

  • Affirm ZAB action, or

  • Remand to ZAB for reconsideration.

The City Council will receive the entire record for the project.  Additional written information may be submitted to the City Clerk and will be provided to the Council.

Back to top

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Department of Planning & Development, 1947 Center Street, 3rd Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: planning@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-7400
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903