Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Parks Division
Parks Division


1720 Eighth Street
between Delaware and Virginia Streets
Northwest Berkeley, Mobile Unit 2

Map of parks

James Kenney Park Renovation Project Update: Construction for the most recent James Kenney Park, Picnic, and Play Area Renovation Project was completed on December 2020. Improvements included a new 2-5 play area, 5-12 play area and picnic area.  

James Kenney Park offers a variety of recreational opportunities, including ball fields, basketball courts, tennis courts, and a gym, as well as tot and school-age play areas.  

James Kenney Playgrounds 01
James Kenney Playgrounds 02 James Kenney Playgrounds 03 James Kenney Tot lot 01 James Kenney Tot lot 02


The land for James Kenney Park was purchased by the City of Berkeley in 1917 for $8,000, and supplemented by a lot the City already owned. The park was named after Berkeley’s first fire chief, who was appointed in 1904 and served until his death in 1916. In 1977, the community approved plans to renovate the park areas and to install a picnic facility. These improvements were funded by Land and Water Conservation Fund (LWCF), Roberti-Z’berg funds, and Measure Y monies from a bond measure passed in 1974 to fund additional park development to meet the recreational needs of Berkeley’s citizens. Park users celebrated completion of these improvements at an open house held March 31, 1979. In 1983–1984, additional renovations of the park were undertaken with monies from an Urban Park and Recreation Recovery (UPARR) rehabilitation grant. 


  • Baseball/softball field 
  • Soccer practice 
  • Multi-purpose turf 
  • Basketball (2 1/2 courts) 
  • Lighted tennis courts (2); practice wall available 
  • Volleyball court 
  • Tot play area featuring swings, climber, slide, accessible surfacing 
  • School-age play area featuring horizontal ladder, slide 
  • Picnic area with BBQ 
  • Recreation Center 
  • Gym 

Restroom: Available in Recreation Center (until 10 PM when baseball is played) 

Parking: On-street parking 

Acreage: 4.24 acres | 184,700 sq. ft. 

Accessibility: Wheelchair Accessiblehandicap

Park Hours: 6 AM to 10 PM (unless otherwise indicated)

Rentals: The gym, rooms in the recreation center, tennis courts, and field are available for reservation or rental. For reservations and further information, please call the Recreation Office at 510-981-5150, or Facility Rentals

Park Maintenance: For questions please visit Parks Maintenance.


List of City Parks | Map of City Parks  

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Parks Division, 1326 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA 94702
Questions or comments? Email: trees@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-6660
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903