Translation Disclaimer

Office of Vital Statistics
Office of Vital Statistics

Name Change Procedures

In order to change your name or the name of your child, you MUST have a Court Order that authorizes the State Health Department to make changes on the original record.    Court Order Name Change can be obtained in any family court near by your residence.     After you have the court order, you MUST submit the Form VS23 along with a Certified Copy of the Court Order to the address stated in the back portion of the Form VS23.   Bellow you will find a link for a Manual that explains all the steps of a Court Order Change of a Name.


Name Change through a Court Order


Please feel free to contact us if you have further questions.  

Quick Guides:

     Name Change after Court Order


The form above is in .PDF format and require the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader which can be downloaded from the website link bellow by clicking on the image: 

get adobe reader



Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Office of Vital Statistics, 1947 Center Street 2nd.Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-5320
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903