Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Office of Vital Statistics
Office of Vital Statistics



  • How can I correct a misspelling of a name on a birth/death certificate?

It is possible to correct a name misspelled on a birth/death certificate.   You just need to send the following documents to the California Department of Public Health along with the appropriate fee:

  • Form VS24 (no erasures, whiteouts, photocopies or alterarions of this form are allowed)
  • Application Form (VS-111) with a notarized sworn statement (if you wish to receive a copy of the amended record)
  • If you are correcting a misspelling on the parent's name or an error on parent's date of birth, you MUST include a photocopy of the parent's birth certificate.
  • If you are correcting a error from the hospital, please attached documentation from the hospital.
  • Fee to process the request:
  • Within one year of the birth:
    • There is no fee to amend a record, but you do not get a copy of the amended record.
    • A fee is required if you wish to get a copy of the amended record.  Click here to check how much is the current fee. 
  • If the birth occurred more than one year ago:
    • A fee will apply, which includes one Certified Copy of the Amended Record.
    • The fee for additional copies are the same as if you were applying for a birth certificate directly through the State Registrar.
  • Where should I send the documentation to?
California Department of Public Health 
Office of Vital Records - MS 5103
P.O.Box 997410
Sacramento, CA 95899-7410
  • How do I send the fee?

You must send a Check or Money Order payable to OFFICE OF VITAL RECORDS.   Do not mail cash or other types of payment, as the State will be unable to accept them.

  • Have more questions about Amending a Record?  Please click here and download the complete manual prepared by the state.


Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Office of Vital Statistics, 1947 Center Street 2nd.Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: vitalrecords@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-5320
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903