Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Office of Vital Statistics
Office of Vital Statistics

Frequently Asked Questions - Name Change


  • I want to change the name on the Birth Certificate.  What should I do?

A court order is necessary to change any part of a baby/person's name or any part of the parents’ names except for adding a middle name (refer to the last paragraph of this section).  Contact the Alameda County Superior Court - Family Division at:

Office Location:  
First Floor
2233 Shoreline Drive
Alameda, CA 94501

Office Hours:
The Clerk's Office is open from 8:30 AM - 2:30 PM or a
document drop box is available from 2:30 - 4:00 PM

Phone Number:
510-263-4311  (service is available from 8:30 AM - 2:30 PM - *Monday through Friday, excluding Court holidays).


A certified copy of the Court Order, the $23 fee, and a completed Amendment to Reflect a Court Order Change of Name form must be sent to the State Office of Vital Records.   A copy of the amended Certificate will be forwarded to you as part of the fee.  The Amendment form is available at our office or at any local California registrar’s office.   But, you may also request it online at the CA Department of Public Health Department website - Clique here to be redirected.  

Adding an infant's middle name when there is no middle name will not require a court order.  However, you must fill out the Affidavit to Amend a Record form (VS-24) that is  available at our office or any local California registrar's office.  Send the completed form to the State Office of Vital Records.  If the change occurs after one year from date of birth, you must also include the $23 fee to make the change and obtain a copy of the amended Birth record.


Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Office of Vital Statistics, 1947 Center Street 2nd.Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: vitalrecords@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-5320
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903