Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Office of Vital Statistics
Office of Vital Statistics

Amending a Record


  • There is a misspelling and/or wrong information on the Birth or Death Certificate. What can I do to correct it?

Corrections to misspelled names or to parent’s information and/or other typographical errors can be made with an Affidavit to Amend a Record form (Form VS-24).  These forms are available at our office or at any local California registrar's office.  Send the completed Affidavit form to the State Office of Vital Records.   If the amendment occurs more than one year from the date of birth or death, include the $23 fee that is charged by the State to make changes and issue a copy of the amended record.   

  • Can I Change the Medical Information on my Birth Certificate?

The Medical Information listed on the birth certificate comes directly from the data chart in the hospital or medical facility where the person was born.  Changes on that part of a birth certificate requires signatures from the medical practicioner who delivered the baby, therefore you must contact the hospital where the event occurred in order to request the changes.  To correct the mistake, have the Hospital or Medical Facility fill out the amendment form and submit it to the State Registrar in Sacramento, CA.   There is a fee of $23 if the birth certificate is older than one year.

  • Is it possible to change my name through an amendment form?

No.  The amendment form (VS-24) is only used to correct misspelled names (child, mother, father physician), add the first and middle name when there was none registered in the past or to add information to blank fields.   

  • Can I add the father's name on my child's birth Certificate by using an amendment form (VS-24)?

No.  To add the Father's Name to a Birth Certificate, you have to use different forms.   If the parents are married, you may use the Acknowledgement of Paternity Form (VS-22) and submit that signed by both parents, along with the Copy of the Marriage Certificate.  However, if the parents are not married, you may use the Declaration of Paternity Form (CS-909) and the Acknowledgement of Paternity Form (VS-22).    If you need to obtain blank copies of the form CS-909, you must come in person to our office or request them through the county or state recorder's office.  Click here to see their contact information.

  • If you still have additional questions contact us by clicking here 


Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Office of Vital Statistics, 1947 Center Street 2nd.Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: vitalrecords@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-5320
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903