Translation Disclaimer

Office of Vital Statistics
Office of Vital Statistics

 Frequently Asked Questions - Adoptions


  • I am adopted.  How do I get my Birth Certificate?

The city of Berkeley no longer keeps records that are older than 5 years.     So, if your child was born in the past 5 years, you should be able to purchase a certified copy of the new record (after adoption) with us.   However, if the child is 6 years of age or older the record is held by the Alameda County Recorder's Office.    Please contact them by phoning (510) 272-6362. 

  • I adopted a child and want to get a Birth Certificate, what do I have to do?

The court where you adopted the child usually reports the adoption to the California Department of Public Health and a Birth Certificate is created after they receive the paper work from the court.  Please click here to obtain an electronic version of the State Manual which describes the entire process for you.  




Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Office of Vital Statistics, 1947 Center Street 2nd.Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-5320
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903