See our Omicron surge page for up-to-date guidance on testing, vaccination, masking, isolation, and quarantine.

Emergency Regional Stay Home Order. Bay Area ICUs are near capacity. Stay home except for essential tasks. Keep errands short. Don't gather with anyone outside your household. Cancel plans for non-essential travel. Learn more.

Translation Disclaimer

Environmental Health Division
Environmental Health Division

Community Noise Program

Division of Environmental Health: NoiseThis program is mandated by the Berkeley Municipal Code (BMC) and sets forth standards by which noise is measured.  The program is driven by requests for service from the public.  Inspectors respond to complaints and enforce, interpret, and educate citizens about  the noise ordinance.  After-hours complaints are handled by the Berkeley Police Department on a priority basis.




Construction Noise Standards
Construction Noise  (PDF Version)


Gasoline Powered Leaf BlowersGas Powered Leafblower Not Allowed

(Ordinance No. 5500-N.S.,Section 13.40.070)

"... it shall be unlawful for any person, including any city employee, to operate any portable machine powered with a gasoline engine used to blow leaves, dirt, and other debris off sidewalks, driveways, lawns, or other surfaces within the City limits."

Gasoline Powered Leaf Blower (PDF)

Amplified Sound Permits

Fees partially support this BMC mandated program that requires generators of amplified sound to pay and apply for a permit prior to an event.  Standards and procedures are used to determine if the permit can be issued to an applicant.  Coordination with the Berkeley Police Department (BPD) and Recreation Division ensures that these events do not become a nuisance.

The Sound Permit Application Form (PDF Version)  is available from this page but only as a PDF document.  Print and complete the PDF version of the application form or obtain a form from Environmental Health at (510) 981-5310 and TDD (510) 981-6903.  You can also request the form by sending an email to

Submit the Sound Permit Application with your payment to the Environmental Health Division at 2180 Milvia , 2nd Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704.  Use this link, Fees by Service Category, to navigate to information about current Environmental Health Division services and fee amounts.

Items that are followed by the phrase "PDF Version" will require the Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing.  To read PDF files, you can use this link to download Adobe Acrobat Reader for free.


Do you need assistance or wish  to report a complaint?

Complete an on-line Request for Service form, or phone Environmental Health at (510) 981-5310 and TDD (510) 981-6903, or send an email to


Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Environmental Health Division, 2180 Milvia Street, 2nd Floor Berkeley, CA 94704, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-5310
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903