Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Customer Service
Customer Service

Refuse: Start/Stop/Change Service

Property Owners must initiate or make changes in refuse service. When starting or changing service, you will be given a collection schedule for your pick up day/s, information about the various size carts and the estimated time for delivery of your container.

To start, stop or change refuse service, call Customer Service at (510) 981-7270 and be prepared with the following required information. 

To Start Service:

  1. The date you took title to your property
  2. The date you would like refuse service to start
  3. The service address or parcel # on your deed
  4. Your daytime &/or work phone #
  5. Your place of employment
  6. Social Security Number

To Stop Service:

  1. The date you would like refuse service to stop
  2. Forwarding address for final bill

To Change Service:

  1. Name, account # &/or service address
  2. Social Security Number
  3. Daytime or evening phone # 

In general, if the number of pick-ups per week remains the same, and you request a smaller container, you will see a decrease in refuse fees on your next quarterly statement. Customers who are billed annually on their Alameda County property tax statement, and who make changes after July 1st, will not see the decrease/increase in refuse fees until the following year.

Commercial/Residential Tenants

Property owners must contact Customer Service to start or increase the level of refuse service. Tenants may not start or increase the level of their service. If you feel that you need more/less refuse service than what is beginning provided, please have the property owner contact Customer Service at (510) 981-7270, and we will have a Field Representative determine the appropriate level of service.

Non-Residential property owners must sign an agreement with Customer Service authorizing the tenant to be billed directly, which allows the tenant to start or increase service. Please note that property owners will receive third party notification and are ultimately responsible for paying the refuse bill if the tenant does not pay.

For recycling or plant debris services, call Customer Service.

Contact Customer Service

Home | Residents | Businesses | COVID-19 | Services | Elected Officials
Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
City of Berkeley - Central Administrative Offices, 2180 Milvia St, Berkeley, CA 94704
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903