Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Customer Service
Customer Service

In-Home Care Permits

hcapsymbolResidents or family members living in any of the City’s Residential Preferential Parking Areas (RPP) who have disabilities, or medical conditions, requiring a care provider like an attendant, personal assistant, nursing aide, etc, may be eligible for In-Home Care Parking Permits. If you live in any of the 16 RPP Areas and you require services provided by assistant provider personnel, you may want to obtain an In-Home Care Permit.

What is an In-Home Care Permit?

 An In-Home Care Permit allows your care provider to park in your neighborhood parking permit area for more than the two hours allowed for visitors or other non-permit holders while providing care services. RPP zones are marked by signs that indicate vehicles without a valid permit are restricted to a parking stay of up to two hours maximum. In-Home Care Permits are dashboard permits that when displayed allow your medical care provider(s) to park for more than two hours.

What certifications are needed for In-Home Care Permits?

If you are a first-time applicant

Applicants will need to fill out a Physician Reviewed Medical Affidavit form indicating that you require in-home care medical services. This affidavit requires your physician's information and signature.

If you are renewing an existing In-Home Care Permit

Existing In-Home Care Permit holders will need to fill out a Renewal Medical Affidavit form confirming that you still require in-home care medical services.

How do In-Home Care Permits differ from California Disability Placards issued by the State of California, Department of Motor Vehicles?


California Disabled Placards (DP) allow disabled persons with vehicles to park at any time zoned restricted spaces, green, blue color curb markings, meters, and disabled parking spaces. For more information about obtaining a DP placard from DMV please visit their web site at http://www.dmv.ca.gov/

In-Home Care Permits differ from DP placards in that they are for service providers and only allow for parking in your designated neighborhood RPP zones in Berkeley, while performing services for an approved In-Home Care applicant.  The permits are not valid at parking meters, colored curb time zones, or at disabled persons spaces.

What is the cost of In-Home Care Permits?  And how many can I purchase?

The cost of an In-Home Care Permit is $66.00 per year.  If you require 24-hour, in-home care services with various shifts, you may purchase up to a maximum of 3 In-Home Care Permits.

How do I purchase In-Home Care Permits?

You can purchase or renew your In-Home Care Permits by mail or in person at the Customer Service Center.  Please gather the following documentation: 

1A) Physician Reviewed Medical Affidavit form if applying for a new permit OR 

1B) Medical Affidavit form if renewing an existing In-Home Care permit;

2) Completed Residential Preferential Parking Permit Application (.pdf)

3) Proof of residency (see acceptable forms of proof of residency here); 

4) Photo ID; and 

5) Check or money order, payable to City of Berkeley.

If sending in your application by mail, send your documentation to:

In-Home Care Permits
Customer Service
1947 Center Street, 1st Floor
Berkeley, California 94704

View and print the Residential Preferential Parking Permit Application (.pdf).

Documents in .pdf format require Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing. Download a free copy from Adobe's website: GetAdobeLogo 
If you are unable to access .pdf documents online, please contact Customer Service Center by email, phone (510) 981-7200, or TDD (510) 981-7250 so that we can provide an alternate format. 

Can my In-Home Care provider purchase my permits for me, at the Finance Customer Service Center?

Yes, your In-Home Care Provider can purchase the permits for you. They will need a note from you authorizing them to purchase the permit, along with a copy of your identification, the completed application, physician statement and payment.

When do In-Home Care Permits expire and how to I renew my permits?

All In-Home Care Permits expire on June 30th, when annual and visitor RPP permits expire. Permits are issued for a 12-month period from July 1st to the following June 30th. You will be sent a courtesy renewal form before your permit expires.

Can any In-Home Care Provider use my In-Home Care Permits?

In-Home Care Permits are not specific to a license plate number of a vehicle, so they can be shared or used by any In-Home Care Provider.

To find out more about In-Home Care Permits, please contact the Customer Service Center or call (510) 981-7200.

Home | Residents | Businesses | COVID-19 | Services | Elected Officials
Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
City of Berkeley - Central Administrative Offices, 2180 Milvia St, Berkeley, CA 94704
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903