FAQ - Requesting an Apostille?


An Apostille is an authentication of public official signatures on documents to be used outside the United States of America.   Some countries only will recognize your Birth Certificate or other type of official document if is authenticated by the Secretary of State which the document was issued.   This authentication can be an Apostille or a Certification.   The country of destination will determine whether they require an Apostille or Certification.

For Birth Certificates purchased from the City of Berkeley, you must first contact the Alameda County Recorder's Office in order to get your document certified.  After that process is complete, you may submit the document(s) to the California Secretary of State for an Apostille.   Please visit the CA Secretary of State's website for more up-to-date accurate information by clicking here.

The California Secretary of State can only authenticate documents issued in the State of California by the following public officials and their deputies:

- County Clerks or Recorders
- Executive Officers
- Court Administrators
- Judges of the Superior Court
- Executive Clerks
- Notaries Public
- Officers whose authority is not limited to any particular county
- State Officials

 Quick Guides:

      Requesting an Apostile

      ABC of Apostille