Frequently Asked Questions - Adoptions


The city of Berkeley no longer keeps records that are older than 5 years.     So, if your child was born in the past 5 years, you should be able to purchase a certified copy of the new record (after adoption) with us.   However, if the child is 6 years of age or older the record is held by the Alameda County Recorder's Office.    Please contact them by phoning (510) 272-6362. 

The court where you adopted the child usually reports the adoption to the California Department of Public Health and a Birth Certificate is created after they receive the paper work from the court.  Please click here to obtain an electronic version of the State Manual which describes the entire process for you.