Translation Disclaimer

Land Use Division
Land Use Division

General Information Topic Listing

Common Projects that Require Zoning Review -

  • Transfer of Business or New Business Location
  • Change of Use
  • Residential Additions
  • [more...]

    Creeks Ordinance Administration (2004) - Background [more...]

    Difference between a Zoning Permit and a Building Permit -   [more...]

    Types of Permits  - All new structures and modifications to structures in the City of Berkeley are required to be in conformance with the Zoning Ordinance.   In addition, all businesses in the City of Berkeley are required to be in conformance with the uses permitted in the Zoning Ordinance.  Applicants for development projects and new businesses should begin with review by zoning staff to determine what type of zoning permit is needed and to ensure that a use is allowed in the location proposed.  Some types of development and uses are allowed “as-of-right,” meaning that no public review is required so long as the proposed project or use conforms to the requirements of the zoning ordinance.  An as-of-right project or use is issued a Zoning Certificate and the applicant can proceed to submit an application and plans for a building permit or proceed with application for a business license.  However, many proposed development projects or new businesses require some level of “discretionary review,” meaning they are subject to public notice to neighbors and a public hearing.  In this instance, prior to submitting an application for a building permit, an applicant is required to proceed through the public review process to receive a Use Permit or other entitlement.  Each permit type is described below.    [more...]

    Zoning by Address and Building Permit History -   [more...]

    Overview of Permitting Process - City of Berkeley Permit Service Center (PSC) [more...]

    Public Participation -

  • Policy Development 
  • Development Project Review 
  • Landmarks 
  • [more...]

    Tree Protection Program - Click here to read more about the Tree Protection Program: Ordinance NO. 6,905-N.S. [more...]

    What Permits Do I Need? - Because the City of Berkeley is a largely built-out city where what one person does with his/her property can have significant impacts on others, the City regulates most private development and changes in businesses to minimize those impacts and ensure the health, safety and welfare of the community.  The activities that require some permit from the Planning and Development Department include but are not limited to: [more...]

    Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
    Land Use Division, 1947 Center St., 2nd floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
    Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-7410
    (510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
    TTY: (510) 981-6903