Translation Disclaimer

Housing and Community Services Department
Housing and Community Services Department

Information for Rental Property Owners

City Programs for Rental Property Owners
At least five City of Berkeley programs include requirements for rental property owners. One, the Rental Housing Safety Program (RHSP), is administered by the Planning Department. The following information is not a comprehensive guide to City of Berkeley laws, but is intended to help property owners get started.

Rent Stabilization Board
The Rent Board administers Berkeley’s Rent Stabilization Ordinance. The Rent Stabilization Board has 9 elected commissioners and staffing, and is not a City Department.  To access their web page, please click here.

Rental Housing Safety Program
The Rental Housing Safety Program (RHSP) and housing code enforcement are administered by the Planning Department. RHSP includes complaint-drive and proactive inspections, certifications of the proper functioning of gas heating systems, annual property owner self-certifications of housing quality, and an annual fee for rental units.  To access their web page, please click here

Residential Rental Business License
All owners of commercial rental property, or residential property with three or more dwelling units on any parcel, are required to obtain a business license. Business licenses and taxes on rental property income are administered by the Finance Department.  To access their web page, please click here.  For information on how to obtain a business license, please click here

Fire Inspections
The Berkeley Fire Department conducts annual inspections of multiple residential occupancies of 3 or more units, commercial properties, or homes in the hazardous fire areas.  To access their web page for fire prevention tips, please click here.

Planning & Development
Because the City of Berkeley is a largely built-out city where what one person does with his/her property can have significant impacts on others, the City regulates most private development and changes in businesses to minimize those impacts and ensure the health, safety and welfare of the community. The activities that require some permit from the Planning and Development Department include but are not limited to: Demolition of a structure, Modifications to an existing structure, and Modifications of an existing use. Permits are handled through the Planning & Development Department’s Permit Service Center.  To access their web page, please click here.

Information about tenant relocation
The City has an ordinance addressing the relocation of tenants when tenants need to move out of their unit temporarily in order for repairs to be completed to comply with housing code requirements.  For more information on tenant relocations, please click here.


Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Housing and Community Services Department, 2180 Milvia Street, 2nd Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-5400
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903