Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Department of Public Works
Department of Public Works

Berkeley Recycling Services

COVID-19 Service Information: Commercial and residential refuse, compost, and recycling collection continues as regularly scheduled. The Transfer Station and Berkeley Recycling Center are open to the public. Face coverings and social distancing required.

See COVID-19 service notices for a full list of changes to City services during the pandemic.

Berkeley residents and businesses have shown a deep commitment to recycling. The continued increase in recycling of all materials, and the community-wide support for our organics recycling program, are bringing us closer to the City’s goal of zero waste.

The City of Berkeley offers a wide range of recycling services to residential and business customers. This includes curbside recycling, commercial food waste collection, and operation of the City's Transfer Station which receives materials that can be recycled, reused and composted. In addition, other businesses in the area work in cooperation with City services to both meet your needs and make the best use of these materials.

Berkeley's Recycling Program Accepts Rigid Plastic Containers

PlasticContainersThe City of Berkeley’s residential and commercial curbside recycling programs accept clean, rigid plastic containers. This includes the Ecology Center’s residential curbside collection, the City’s commercial recycling collection, and drop-off of recyclables at the City-owned Materials Recovery Facility (MRF) operated by the Community Conservation Center (CCC).  

  •  YES: Any plastic bottle - lids are OK if attached.
  •  YES: Any clean rigid plastic container that fits in the cart, including dairy-product tubs, "clam shell" containers, buckets, planter pots (please remove all dirt), food trays (from inside packaged food), and plastic cups.

Plastics NOT Acceptable for Recycling

  • NO: Small plastic items (examples: utensils, hot cup lids, loose caps, condiment cups).
  • NO: Plastic Bags
  • NO: Compostable plastics.
  • NO: Styrofoam.
  • NO: Non-rigid food packaging (snack bags & other "soft" plastic packages).

Plastics to Recycle Elsewhere

  • Plastic bags - many markets accept clean plastic bags.
  • Large plastic items that don’t fit in collection carts can be brought to Berkeley Recycling at 2nd & Gilman 7 days a week for free drop-off.

Mandatory Recycling Requirements for Businesses & Multi-family Properties in Alameda County have been in effect since July 2012: All businesses, and multi-family properties of 5 units or more, must have recycling service. Business and property owners must provide recycling and composting program information to employees, contractors, and tenants annually and within 14 days of tenant move-in and 14 days prior to tenant move-out. For more information about business or property owner requirements, visit the Alameda County Waste Authority’s Mandatory Recycling Website: http://www.recyclingrulesac.org/.

To establish recycling service at your Berkeley property or business, please call the City's Customer Service Call Center at 311 (510-981-7270). The City of Berkeley provides free assistance, collection containers and instructional posters to all refuse accounts.

Commercial Recycling Services

Commercial Business & Apartment Recycling (10 units or more): Our program collects recyclables in 2 separate carts: one for glass, plastics, and cans; and the other for corrugated cardboard, newspaper, and mixed papers (office papers, packaging, junk mail, and catalogs).

Commercial Compost Collection: Restaurants, produce markets, florists, bakeries and food manufacturers can use our food waste recycling program. Your organic scraps and waxed cardboard will be made into compost. For details see Commercial Recycling, or email Customer Service.

More information about all Commercial Recycling Services is available at Commercial Recycling

Residential Recycling Services

Residential Curbside Recycling: Split-Carts are used for Residential Recycling for single-family homes and duplexes; apartment buildings up to 9 units have separate carts for containers and papers. Weekly collection of bottles, cans and plastics, newspaper, mixed papers and cardboard, is provided by the Ecology Center. For more information, see Residential Recycling Services.

Residential Plant Debris & Food Waste Collection: You can use your Green Cart to recycle plant debris and food waste. This also includes milk or juice cartons, food contaminated paper, paper cups/plates, and waxed paper. For details see information at Plant Debris & Food Waste, where there's also useful information about home composting!

Mattress Recycling: Residents of single-family or multifamily apartment buildings up to 9 units are eligible for free curbside mattress pickup.  

Holiday Trees: Please cut up your holiday tree to fit in your green cart with the lid closed. Flocked trees are not compostable. Please cut up flocked trees to fit in your refuse cart with the lid closed. You may also choose to drop your holiday tree off at the Transfer Station at no charge during the month of January. After January you can bring it to the Berkeley Transfer Station for the minimum compost fee of $23. Flocked trees will be charged the minimum refuse fee of $29.

  • Please remove: all lights, decorations, tinsel, bags and tree stands.
  • Flocked trees are not compostable. Please avoid flocking.

Transfer Station: the City's Transfer Station accepts refuse, recyclable materials such as mattresses and carpet, unpainted/untreated wood, and other items.

More information about Residential Recycling is available at Residential Recycling Services.

Back to Top

What to Recycle


  • Glass: All colors; lids and labels can stay on. DO NOT INCLUDE dishes, light bulbs, windows, or glass bakeware - they melt at a different temperature than bottles.
  • Cans: "Tin" and aluminum cans, aluminum foil and trays.
  • Plastic: Bottles and any clean rigid plastic containers that fit in the cart, including dairy-product tubs, "clam shell" containers, buckets, planter pots, food trays, and plastic cups.


  • Newspaper: Newspapers and all inserts that come with them can be recycled with mixed paper.
  • Mixed Papers: Office papers, junk mail, cereal boxes, wrapping paper, envelopes, magazines, catalogs, and phonebooks.  
    • It's okay to include metal staples, clips, glue, labels, and plastic windows; it's not okay to include tissue, plastic attachments, or photographs.
  • Corrugated Cardboard: In order to collect cardboard, please cut it to fit into the cart, or flatten and bundle cardboard and set out next to the cart. Small amounts can be included with mixed paper.

Other Resources in the Area

Urban Ore: Buys, trades and sells used or surplus building materials, household items, furniture, fixtures, art, computers. Urban Ore is located at 900 Murray Street near 7th Street and Ashby Avenue. Urban Ore also contracts with the City to salvage reusable items at the City of Berkeley Transfer Station. Call (510) 841-7283 for information about their General Store and Building Materials Yard. Call (510) 559-4461 for pickup of usable materials by Urban Ore's Outside Trader. http://urbanore.com.

Berkeley Recycling Center: Located near the City of Berkeley Transfer Station at 2nd and Gilman St, the Recycling Center accepts glass bottles and jars, metal cans, plastic bottles, rigid plastic containers, mixed paper, newspaper, cardboard, clothing/textiles, scrap metal, and non-refrigerated appliances for drop off. Universal waste items such as household batteries, fluorescent tubes and bulbs, mercury switches, and cell phones are also accepted. Please visit berkeleyrecycling.org for more info. There is a fee for appliances and also for larger quantities of Universal Waste.

StopWaste: Visit StopWaste's RE:Source guide to find nearby reuse, repair, recycling, and safe disposal options for just about anything.

 Household Hazardous Waste Facilities: Household toxics drop off facilities for county residents and small businesses. Call (800) 606-6606 for advice. Visit StopWaste.org for facility info.

Catalog Choice: Berkeley residents and businesses can take advantage of a free online service to opt out of unwanted catalogs, advertising mail pieces, and phone books. For more information, go to Catalog Choice at: Berkeley.catalogchoice.org/

Back to Top

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Department of Public Works, 2180 Milvia Street, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: publicworks@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-6300
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903