Translation Disclaimer

City Clerk
City Clerk

 Election Information: Petition Guidelines

If you are considering circulating a petition to place a city measure on the ballot, or to circulate a referendum petition, please review the guidelines below prior to starting the process. 

Charter Amendment Petitions (PDF, 329 KB)
The City Charter may only be amended or changed by a vote of the people.  The regulations and number of required signatures for a charter amendment are different than the Initiative or Referendum process.

Initiative Ordinance Petitions (PDF, 311 KB)
An Initiative petition is used to add a new law to the Berkeley Municipal Code, or change an existing law in the BMC.

Referendum Petition (PDF, 388 KB)
A Referendum petition is used when voters wish to prevent a new law from going in to effect.  A referendum petition may not be started until the city council has taken an official action.

Recall Petition (PDF, 146 KB) 
Voters may use the Recall process to remove an elected official from office.  There are certain restrictions on when and how often a recall petition may be initiated or filed.  

Withdrawal of Voter Signature from Petition (PDF, 95 KB)
Any voter who has signed an initiative or referendum petition may submit a request to have their signature removed from the petition.  The request must be filed the day before the proponents file their petitions with the City Clerk.

PDF files open in a new browser window. To read PDF files, download a free copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader.  If you are unable to access .pdf documents online, please contact us via email (, telephone (510) 981-6900, or TDD (510) 981-6903 so that we can provide an alternate format.

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
City Clerk, 2180 Milvia Street, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-6900
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903