See our Omicron surge page for up-to-date guidance on testing, vaccination, masking, isolation, and quarantine.

Emergency Regional Stay Home Order. Bay Area ICUs are near capacity. Stay home except for essential tasks. Keep errands short. Don't gather with anyone outside your household. Cancel plans for non-essential travel. Learn more.

Translation Disclaimer

Health, Housing & Community Services Department
Health, Housing & Community Services Department

 Employment Programs: Frequently Asked Questions 

2180 Milvia Street, 2nd Floor
Office Number: (510) 981-4970
Office Hours: Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Q.    Who can participate?
A.    Youth residing in Berkeley (verification will be required during the application process.)

 Q.    What ages are eligible for YouthWorks?
A.    14 to 25 years old  

Q.    Are there special work restrictions for youth?
A.    YouthWorks adheres to the CA Division of Labor Standards pertaining to Child Labor Laws.
For more information please visit the following web page, 

Q.    When can I apply for a Job? 
A.    Ages 14-17 may apply when the application period is open. Normally that is in the months of October for the Winter program and March for the Summer program. Youth must be at least 14 years of age at the time of application. Youth ages18-25 can apply throughout the year. Please check website for updated application periods.

Q.    How do I apply?
A.    Go to our website at and click on the apply link to get started. For additional help, click HERE for a detailed guide on how to complete the online job application successfully.

Q.    What is the pay rate for youth in this program?
A.    $15.75 an hour.  Please check the City's Minimum Wage Ordinance for schedule of future wage increases.

Q.    Can you mail or e-mail an application to me, or can my mom/dad/guardian pick it up for me? 
A.    The application for Youth Enrollee Intern is available online at:

Q.    Do I need a work permit and if so, where do I get it?  
A.    If you are under 18 years old and are a YouthWorks participant, we will assist you in attaining a work permit. If you are not a YouthWorks participant, and you are hired for a job, you must pick up your work permit form from the school district, take it to the employer to complete, obtain parent/guardian signature, and return to the school district.

Q.    Can I get a copy of my application?
A.    Your application will be retained in your account online and you may access it from there to view only (once an application is submitted, it cannot be changed).

Q.    Are extra documents required in order for my application to be complete?
A.    If you are selected, then the following original documents must be presented to YouthWorks staff at a date to be selected by staff:

  • Must show a proper valid ID (not expired)
  • Must show your physical Social Security card in person (card must be signed by applicant)
  • Must show acceptable proof of residency within the City of Berkeley
  • Most recent report card/progress report (winter session only)

Q.    What are the next steps after completing the online application?
A.    Accepted applicants will be informed about the next meetings and workshops via the email address provided in the application.

Q.    Will I be able to use this application to apply for YouthWorks or other City jobs?
A.    Yes, after you complete your basic job profile, the information is saved and stored for use when you are applying for YouthWorks or other government sector jobs.


Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Health, Housing & Community Services Department, 2180 Milvia Street, 2nd Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-5400
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903