Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Police Department
Police Department

Police Badge Stylized 4

Commendation and Complaints

How to file a commendation with the Berkeley Police Department

Commendations are ways we recognize a job well done by one of our employees. It is also how the police department and citizens show appreciation to those who have gone above and beyond to serve our community. When the department receives a commendation from our citizens the report goes directly to our Personnel and Training Unit for processing. From there it travels to the Chief of Police and then down the chain of command all the way to the commended employee and their supervisor.

Everyone appreciates a commendation. Citizens that wish to recognize the good work of one of our employees can contact the Personnel and Training Unit at (510) 981-4736 or by email at PoliceCommendations@CityofBerkeley.info


How to file a complaint with the Berkeley Police Department, Internal Affairs Bureau 

Personnel complaints are recognized as a very important reflection of the way the community feels about its police departments.  Your concerns or complaints about the acts of an employee or practice of the police department allow us to evaluate both our department practices and effectiveness of our employees. 

The Internal Affairs Bureau is organized under the supervision of two Sergeants who report directly to the Chief of Police.  IAB investigates all externally received complaints alleging employee misconduct.  IAB may also investigate internally initiated complaints of misconduct as directed by the Chief of Police. 

If you wish to file a personnel complaint (such as police misconduct), you may do so by phone, by email, or in person at the Public Safety Building.  The Internal Affairs complaint form can be downloaded here. 

During regular business hours, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday, complaints should be made to one of the Sergeants in the Internal Affairs Bureau, located in the Public Safety Building, 2100 Martin Luther King Jr. Way, (510) 981-5706.

At all other times, or when a member of the Internal Affairs Bureau is not available, complaints may be taken by a command or supervisory officer , they can be reached throught he Communications Center by calling (510) 981-5900.

Community members may also choose to pursue their complaints directly through the Office of the Director of Police Accountability, which is independent of the Police Department.  If a complaint is made to the Office of the Director of Police Accountability, the Internal Affairs Bureau will also conduct its own separate investigation into the matter. 


If you would like information on police-civilian encounters visit WWW.ACLU.ORG/know-your-rights/stopped-by-police


Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Police Department, 2100 Martin Luther King, Jr. Way, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: police@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-5900
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903