Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Health, Housing & Community Services Department
Health, Housing & Community Services Department


Notice of Funding Availability (NOFA)
 Community Development Block Grant (CDBG)
This NOFA covers funding for public facility improvement projects only.   
 The City of Berkeley is currently not accepting Public Facility Improvement funding application request at this time. All available funding has been awarded. Next expected available CDBG funding is estimated to be in July 1, 2022 (FY23). 
As funding becomes available a Notice of Funding Availability will be announced.  

The CDBG national objective for the Public Facility Improvement Project is serving Low-to-Moderate Income Clientele (24 CFR Ch. V §570.201c)
For further information:

Public facilities must be public owned or owned by a nonprofit. Examples of public facilities include centers for seniors, persons with disabilities, youth, and child care centers, community centers, homeless shelters, housing for people with special needs, libraries and health clinics.

The CDBG regulations specify that facilities that are designed for use in providing shelter for persons having special needs are considered to be public facilities (and not permanent housing). Such shelters would include nursing homes, convalescent homes, shelters for victims of domestic violence, shelters and transitional facilities/housing for the homeless, halfway houses for run-away children, drug offenders or parolees, and group homes for the developmentally disabled (24 CFR Ch. V §570.201c).

To submit an application:
Applications under this NOFA must be submitted via City Data Services (CDS), an online, web-based application. The online system will not accept incomplete applications. Submitted completed applications will be considered at the next possible Housing Advisory Commission (HAC) meeting.

If your agency does not currently receive City funding, to submit an application, go to www.citydataservices.net, and log in with the following User ID and Password:
User ID – BerCa2020 (single space)
Password – BerCa2020

Once you log in, you will see a short form that collects some basic information. Complete and submit the form to obtain a unique User ID and Password that you will use to submit your application.

If you are a current user of the City’s online reporting system, to submit an application, go to www.citydataservices.net and log on using your existing User ID and Password. You will have an "Apply for 2020" button on your main page. Use this link to begin the submission of your application. For technical issues with submitting data via City Data Services, please contact them via the “Help with this page” button on their website.

Please click on the links below for background, initial release of available funding, a copy of the application, FAQ and 2019 workshop materials: 

City Manager Letter
NOFA Schedule and Background (PDF)
Application for reference purposes only (applications accepted only at www.citydataservices.net)
Frequently Asked Questions 
December 12, 2019 workshop presentation 
• December 12, 2019 workshop questions & answers

If you have any questions, require assistance in submitting the application, or to seek a disability-related accommodation, please contact Mary-Claire Katz, Health, Housing & Community Services Department, at 510-981-5414 or by E-mail mkatz@cityofberkeley.info
Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Health, Housing & Community Services Department, 2180 Milvia Street, 2nd Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: HHCS@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-5400
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903