Emergency Regional Stay Home Order. Bay Area ICUs are near capacity. Stay home except for essential tasks. Keep errands short. Don't gather with anyone outside your household. Cancel plans for non-essential travel. Learn more.

Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

311 City Services
  • Online Services
  • For City services in many
  • languages, call
  • 311 or 510-981-2489

Translation Disclaimer

Quick Links


City Manager's Office
City Manager's Office
Press Contact: Matthai Chakko, (510) 981-7008

Government entities and nonprofits encouraged to apply

Berkeley, California (Tuesday, January 14, 2020) - Nonprofit and government agencies in Berkeley can apply for at least $100,000 per project to renovate facilities primarily serving low-income residents.  

The City will prioritize projects that significantly improve access under the Americans with Disabilities Act, enhance health and safety, and improve energy efficiency. Agencies must have site control for at least five years.

Interested applicants can review materials on our website and see instructions on how to apply online via City Data Services, a portal that applicants must register with and use to apply. For further information please contact Mary-Claire Katz at mkatz@cityofberkeley.info

Proposals for this $1 million in federal Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Program funding will be reviewed and funded on a rolling basis by the City and the Housing Advisory Commission, until the funds are exhausted.

"Funding to improve the quality, safety, and accessibility of our Berkeley public facilities is one concrete way the City leverages federal dollars to improve the health, wellness and resilience of our community," says Dee Williams-Ridley. 

Projects may include facilities such as homeless shelters or transitional housing for homeless households. But other options apply as well.  Projects may propose to reduce health and safety concerns relating to safety code, such a lead based paint removal. They may remove barriers to access, with a focus on path of travel. Or they may improve energy efficiency - such as weatherization, electrical upgrades or reducing water usage.

See our website, learn more and apply online.


Keep up with City of Berkeley news via our News page, email or .

Home | Residents | Businesses | COVID-19 | Services | Elected Officials
Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
City of Berkeley - Central Administrative Offices, 2180 Milvia St, Berkeley, CA 94704
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903