311 City Services
  • Online Services
  • For City services in many
  • languages, call
  • 311 or 510-981-2489

Translation Disclaimer

Quick Links


City Manager's Office
City Manager's Office
Press Contact: Matthai Chakko, (510) 981-7008

Avoid fines up to $1,000 for illegal dumping

Berkeley, California (Monday, April 29, 2019) - As Cal students move out for the summer, tenants and landlords can help keep our streets clean by planning ahead, using City of Berkeley services, and properly discarding of the items they no longer need. 

Dumping mattresses and other items on the sidewalk doesn't lead to re-use. It creates a mess. Please use mattress recyclers for mattress disposal. For other items, use your building's dumpsters or other resources listed below to discard, re-use or recycle what you don't need. Avoid fines for illegal dumping that can reach up to $1,000 a day.

Keep re-usable and recyclable goods out of landfills. There are a number of resources to help people thoughtfully and sustainably discard un-needed items. Follow three steps:

Plan Ahead. Start thinking now about what you'll keep and what you'll discard. Don't wait until the last minute and then throw everything in the garbage or our streets. Call 311 (or 981-2489) to take advantage of these City services:    

  • Order Extra Trash Pickup or a Short-Term Dumpster
  • Schedule a Free Bulky Waste Pickup (for properties with 1- 4 Units)
  • Purchase the City of Berkeley's prepaid trash bags if you live in a property of 1-4 units or if you know your waste won't fit in your regular bin. Prepaid City bags, if left on curbs, will be picked up by the City's Zero Waste Division on regular pickup days. Other trash bags left on curbs will not be picked up. You can also take items directly to our Transfer Station at 1201 Second Street.

Reuse. Find someone to use what you don't need. Don't leave it on a sidewalk. Use sites like Craigslist, Freecycle or Nextdoor. Visit the Alameda County Food Bank to donate canned goods.

Recycle. Use your blue cart to recycle cans and bottles, and use the Ecology Center's recycling guidelines to see what you can put in your cart. Extra cardboard can be bundled and placed curbside next to your recycle cart on your recycling service day.

  • Computers, televisions, stereos and electronic gadgets should never be put into garbage cans, debris bins or placed curbside. They are hazardous waste and must be disposed of properly. To dispose of ewaste please contact the eWaste Collective, which picks up anything with a plug, working or not.
  • Visit StopWaste.org for more information on recycling services and how to keep your unwanted items like furniture, and electronics out of the landfill. 

The whole community can also play a valuable role. Call 311 to report illegal dumping. 


Abandoned furniture & debris on the sidewalk or public right of way may incur citations and fines up to $1,000 a day! See Berkeley Municipal Code Chapters 1.20.010, 12.32.030, 12.32.070, 12.32.110



Keep up with City of Berkeley news via our News page, email or .

Home | Residents | Businesses | Visitors | Services | Elected Officials
Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
City of Berkeley - Central Administrative Offices, 2180 Milvia St, Berkeley, CA 94704
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903