Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

311 City Services
  • Online Services
  • For City services in many
  • languages, call
  • 311 or 510-981-2489

Translation Disclaimer

Quick Links


City Manager's Office
City Manager's Office
Press Contact: Matthai Chakko, (510) 981-7008

Proof of payment to BUSD needed before City can issue Building Permits

Berkeley, California (Thursday, June 08, 2017) - Any construction projects that add commercial, industrial or 500 square feet of residential square footage now require fees paid directly to the Berkeley Unified School District.

These fees, which were imposed by the Berkeley Unified School District board, require payment before the City of Berkeley will issue building permits.

The school district published a fee justification analysis to explain the rationale, which is required by state law. The fees are as follows:

  • $3.48 per square foot of new Residential space, and for additions to existing buildings which create 500 square feet or more of new space.
  • $0.56 per square foot of new Commercial or Industrial space and for additions of any size.

These fees are not assessed or collected by the City of Berkeley. However, those applicants proposing residential, commercial or industrial projects seeking a building permit in Berkeley must provide the City with a Certificate of Compliance from the Berkeley Unified School District that confirms payment.

Projects that submitted building permit applications and plans prior to June 8 do not fall under the requirements of this fee.  In addition, many common alteration projects such as roofing, decks, plumbing, and electrical repairs are also not required to pay this fee.

Applicants will still need to visit the City of Berkeley's Permit Service Center at 1947 Center Street as the first step in submitting a building permit application for a proposed project.  PSC staff will accept complete applications, then refer applicants to the BUSD facilities office to comply with the new Facilities Fee requirement. Once BUSD has verified the project's square footage, calculated fees due and received payment, they will issue a Certificate of Compliance. Once the applicant returns to the PSC with that proof of payment, the City will issue building permits for projects which have completed the plan check review process and met the usual development application requirements.

BUSD has prepared a flowchart explaining the process for securing proof of fee payment, and a set of answers to Frequently Asked Questions regarding the new fee. For more information, contact BUSD by email at developerfees@berkeley.net, or by telephone at (510) 644-6066.


Keep up with City of Berkeley news via our News page, email or .

Home | Residents | Businesses | COVID-19 | Services | Elected Officials
Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
City of Berkeley - Central Administrative Offices, 2180 Milvia St, Berkeley, CA 94704
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903