311 City Services
  • Online Services
  • For City services in many
  • languages, call
  • 311 or 510-981-2489

Translation Disclaimer

Quick Links


City Manager's Office
City Manager's Office
Press Contact: Nabil Al-Hadithy, Hazardous Materials Manager, (510) 981-7460

New Laws on How to Dispose of Electronics, Batteries, other Hazardous Materials

Berkeley, California (Friday, February 10, 2006) - As of February 9, 2006, it is against the law to dispose of “Universal Waste” in your common trash receptacle.  Universal Waste comprises items that contain low levels of hazardous materials, and includes fluorescent lights, household batteries and certain types of electronic waste (televisions, computer monitors and related computer peripherals). The City of Berkeley urges its residents to follow this law and recycle these items properly.  Access any of these City websites:






These sites detail where Universal Waste is accepted for proper recycling.  Links to detailed instructions for the proper handling of Universal Waste are also shown.


Keep up with City of Berkeley news via our News page, email or .

Home | Residents | Businesses | Visitors | Services | Elected Officials
Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
City of Berkeley - Central Administrative Offices, 2180 Milvia St, Berkeley, CA 94704
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903