Everyone is required to stay home, except for essential needs. When out, protect yourself and those around you by wearing a face covering, staying 6 feet away from others, and washing your hands often. Learn more at cityofberkeley.info/covid19. City offices are closed to the public. Some services are available remotely.

The City of Berkeley Health Officer has ordered all residents to shelter at home, leaving only to receive or provide essential services, starting 12:01 am on Tuesday, March 17. See details of the Order, frequently asked questions, and recommendations from Berkeley Public Health at https://www.cityofberkeley.info/coronavirus.

City Council Live Stream: Please visit https://www.cityofberkeley.info/CalendarEventWebcastMain.aspx

ZAB Live Stream: Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx.

The City of Berkeley web site is undergoing scheduled maintenance starting on Friday night, September 13 and ending on Saturday afternoon, September 14. During this time, most web pages should be available, but some resources may become unavailable for short periods of time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 5/9/19, at 7:00pm? Please visit https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1UAnZ8kU8EWllREyOY7rwQ/. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same time.

Looking for a live stream of the Zoning Adjustments Board (ZAB) meeting on 2/28/19, from 6:00 to 11:00 PM? Please visit http://www.cityofberkeley.info/Clerk/Commissions/Zoning_Adjustment_Board_Meeting_-_Video_Stream.aspx. The normal viewing methods will not work this time due to a concurrent City Council Special Meeting at the same date and time.

PG&E is reporting a widespread outage affecting thousands of customers in Berkeley and many City buildings, including the Finance Customer Service Center and the Permit Service Center. Call respective City services for further details, or check the PG&E outage page. Power is expected to return by 12:45pm. Traffic lights that are not working should be treated as a four-way stop sign.

Translation Disclaimer

Berkeley Housing Authority
Berkeley Housing Authority

If you reside in the Oakland area of Alameda County, the Oakland Community Action Partnership is a public agency that does its best to ensure that all citizens have fair and equal access to services and resources to help them through difficult times. They also have information on resources, services and agencies that they can refer individuals to that they can use to get long term assistance.   Read below or click on link for more information:


Utility assistance - One option is the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP). The federal government funded HEAP utility and heating assistance programs helps low-income and other qualified households with paying their energy bills. If you apply and are determined to be eligible, you may receive cash assistance once per program year with paying PG&E utility bills. Dial call 510-881-0300 x 245.

Weatherization Program - Oakland and Alameda County low income households may be eligible to receive free energy conserving measures to their home, such as door weather stripping, attic insulation, minor home repairs such as door or glass replacement, faucet aerators, and other energy and utility saving measures such as free compact fluorescent bulbs, ceiling fans, and even efficient refrigerators. Call Spectrum at 510-883-0921.

Homeless, Foreclosure and Eviction Prevention - The Oakland Community Action Partnership provides information on other local charities and non-profits. For example Catholic Charities has created the Oakland Housing Plus program. This is a resource that provides low-income families and individuals of Oakland California with housing assistance by providing rental and utility bill assistance. Many local agencies also offer foreclosure assistance.

Contact the Oakland Community Action Partnership at 150 Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, Ste. 4340, Oakland CA 94612, Phone: 510-238-2362 to learn more about options.


Food Bank and Aid

The Alameda County Food Bank ((800) 273-6222) partners with various county and Oakland based charities and non-profits to distribute free food across the local community.

Find an extensive listing of more Oakland and Alameda food pantries.

Housing aid and rent help is available

A total of 14 communities in the San Francisco Bay area will begin distributing federal government stimulus funds that are targeted at renters who need help paying rent and who may be in danger of being thrown out of their apartments. The federal government funds are part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act's Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program, which is part of Obama’s stimulus plan.

The Salvation Army (510-437-9437) and Everyone Home will be distributing funds in Alameda county. The goal is to make it easy for families to obtain the rent money, and keep people in their homes.

Of course there are program requirements. Applicants will need to provide proof of their outstanding rent obligation, expenses, and need proof of their income.

If an individual or family is approved for housing assistance, they can get up to three months of full rent or up to 18 months of part of their rent paid. But the housing assistance doesn’t stop there. In addition, they can get help with other expenses that come with renting, such as utility bills, security deposits, and more. The money is paid directly to the landlord or utility company.

The government estimates that over 3,000 families in Alameda county alone are eligible for the rent assistance program, and they are trying to get the word out there of this help. Read more on the Homeless Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Program.

Rental Assistance

The City of Fremont has partnered with the ECHO Housing ((510) 836-4826), which is a non-profit agency, to operate the Rental Assistance Program (RAP). This program will assist low and moderate-income individuals and families with paying for delinquent rent, security deposits, or move-in costs.

The RAP program will assist renters by providing a loan guarantee that can be used to help pay for security deposits or also delinquent rent. The tenant will then makes payments directly to the landlord until the amount owed is paid in full. If you are interested in learning more or applying, contact Eden Council for Hope and Opportunity, Inc. (ECHO Housing), which is located at 770 A St., Hayward, CA.

Additional resources for rent help in Oakland

Another place people can turn to for rent help is Catholic Charities of the East Bay's. They have a new housing assistance office at Eastmont Town Center.

Aid is being offered as a result of over $1.3 million in federal government stimulus funds from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. The money is flowing to the nonprofit agency, and the funds are being used to help renters stay in their homes and get back on their feet.

Unlike other rental and housing assistance programs that primarily assist people without shelter find housing, these federal government homeless prevention funds are being used specifically to help people catch up on back, unpaid rent and avoid becoming homeless in the first place. The program is taking a pro-active approach.

To qualify for the rent assistance, applicants to the program need to have a limited income. In addition, they must be facing an eminent risk of eviction from their current home. The money that is paid to applicants needs to be used for paying rent and/or utilities. After someone is accepted into the program, each client will be assigned a case manager to help them work their way back to rental stability.

Currently, the people who are applying for aid need help for a variety of reasons. They may have lost their job, have had a reduction in income, or maybe they have fallen ill and had to take unpaid time off. Perhaps the person, or their family, has had unexpected medical bills to pay Some are even still working and just need a little financial assistance to catch up on energy bills or rent. The program is designed to help people for up to 18 months, and is not meant to be a never ending charity program.

To contact Catholic Charities call 510-768-3100. Or click here for a listing of additional Oakland California housing assistance programs.

Emergency and Crisis Assistance

Salvation Army in Alameda County offers Oakland and Alameda County residents year round help with paying their energy bills, food, they provide low cost childcare, rent help and shelter for families, and camp in the summer. In addition they run a holiday program that provides the needy with meals and gifts. 510-437-9437. Other Salvation Army branches are in Concord, Berkeley, Hayward, and Tri-Cities. To learn more about the social services, case management, and cash assistance offered click here.

Critical Family Needs is a program run by Catholic Charities. The Critical Family Needs program provides needy individuals with is a one-time cash assistance grant. Funding is limited, and the money can be provided only to a limited number of eligible families and individuals, including seniors. The cash assistance that is provided to those who are experiencing an emergency or short term crisis, and it can go towards medical bills, rent, energy costs, and other needs. Call the agency at (925) 825-3099. Learn more.

Season of Sharing is funding that is offered by a private non-profit organization that offers one-time crisis-based assistance for paying for housing and other critical family needs. It is provided as a one-time, short term payment and will buy time for someone to regain long-term self-sufficiency. While there are a number of conditions that need to be met by Alameda County applicants, it will pay for security deposits for households who are at risk of or have lost their housing. This can include delinquent mortgage or rent payments, limited utility bill assistance, and other aid for people who are in immediate threat of shut-off. All cases are reviewed on case by case, and some proof of income is required among other factors. Oakland California based. 510-272-3700



Building Futures with Women and Children offers a program known as Emergency Solution Grant Program, or ESG. As funding permits it can help San Leandro and Alameda County residents. It is offered for homeless prevention and can pay out financial assistance in partnership with the Mid-County Housing Resource Center. 510-686-2332

Operation Dignity Inc., which is based in Oakland, provides rental assistance, move-in assistance and help with paying security and rental deposits once a month to callers to qualify for aid. Call 510-844-0785.

Water bills - Financial assistance may be offered for paying water bills. Programs can also help families conserve their water usage and therefore reduce the amount that they need to pay on their expenses. Read more Oakland California water bill assistance.

Spectrum Community Services Inc. provides the HEAP program, and they provide energy bill assistance and weatherization services to low-income residents of Alameda, Castro Valley, Fremont, Hayward, Livermore, Newark, Oakland, Pleasanton, San Leandro, San Lorenzo, Union City. Phone 510-881-0300.

Oakland, CA Rent Assistance Alameda County Social Services Agency Rental Assistance - Private funds are made available from this program to help low-to-moderate income families with dependent children, senior citizens age 60 and over, and disabled individuals who live in Alameda County in Oakland. Call 510-259-3518.

St. Vincent - This charity organization can help people around Oakland and all of Alameda County. Individuals of all religions and backgrounds may qualify for assistance. Several job training and employment services are offered by Catholic Charities, and they have some programs that focus on the currently unemployed. Other services include medical care from a clinic, and shelter/housing/rent assistance. Meet with a counselor to explore all of these services. Click here.

Basic needs - Non-profits provide items such as free clothing, Christmas gifts, household products, furniture, and more. Some of these organizations may have limited amounts of cash to pay for emergency bills, such as rent if faced with eviction or utilities if they were disconnected. Low income families in Oakland and Alameda County can turn to these clothing closets and charities. Read more.

Berkeley Health, Housing and Community Services Department will potentially help people in the city. The government organization administers the Housing Retention Program. It may provide cash grants to qualified low income Berkeley residents who are facing eviction. All monies need to go towards overdue rent. The city also partners with agencies such as Women’s Daytime Drop In Center (phone 548-2884), the City of Berkeley – Family Youth and Children Services (call 981-5280), Aging Services Division/Senior Centers (dial 981-5200). The address is 2180 Milvia Street, 2nd Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704. Call 510-981-5400

Shelter Inc. offers a few resources as well, including education, case management services, life skills training, and employment opportunities to help people become self-sufficient. Financial assistance for rent and other costs may be available. Permanent housing units are offered as well as assistance programs for veterans and their families in Alameda County. Call 925-335-0698 for intake.

Compass Family Services and the Housing Access Project (HAP) may have rental subsidies and vouchers for homeless families in the Bay Area. 415-644-0504

One Stop Career Centers. These locations provide a number of services, including helping applicants find  employment and job training programs as well as other services. Customer service representatives at each location can help job seekers and the unemployed find employment opportunities. They are also a good place to call or atop by at for information on government assistance and financial aid. For example, learn about  welfare to work services, housing assistance, labor market information, retraining and career options, and programs for bills such as utilities. The center locations in Alameda County are.

  • Alameda 555 Ralph Appezzato Memorial Parkway, Alameda, California 94501 - Phone 510-748-2208
  • Oakland, 1212 Broadway, Suite 100, Oakland, 94612. Phone number 510-768-4473
  • Oakland, 675 Hegenberger Road, 3rd Floor, Oakland, 94621. Phone 510-563-5200
  • Eden Area Multiservice Center, 24100 Amador Street, Hayward, California 9454. Dial 510-670-5700
  • Fremont, 39155 Liberty Street, Suite B200, Fremont, CA 94538. Phonen umber to dial 510-794-3669
  • Newark, 39399 Cherry Street, Room 1211, Newark, California 94560. Phone 510-742-2323
  • Pleasanton – 5020 Franklin Drive, Pleasanton, California 925485. Telephone number 925-485-5262




Alameda County Social Services Agency - Families who are faced with an emergency, the low income and working poor can all look into government and cash assistance programs. Services offered range from homeless prevention, SNAP food stamps, medical care, and much more. Get information on public assistance in Alameda County.

Alameda programs and agencies that are available to all California residents

California has several other assistance programs, resources and agencies that help people all across the state, including in Alameda County and Oakland.

Medical needs and health care programs

Two places to turn to to get access to low cost health insurance, and access clinics and other medical facilities, include the Alameda Health Consortium and the East Bay Agency for Children ((510) 268-3770). Both of these agencies work to extend health insurance to individuals who currently do not have coverage. They can also refer people to other medical assistance programs.

In addition, the East Bay Agency for Children runs an on-site Community Mental and Dental Clinic, in partnership with La Clinica de la Raza. The health care clinic is open two days each and every week and it also provides physical exams, general check ups and vaccinations required to enroll in school and it can provide other needed treatments.

Foreclosure advice and counseling

The Alameda County and Oakland Catholic Charities runs their own foreclosure prevention programs, and can also refer people to other non-profit agencies, government programs, and other resources. The provide one-on-one foreclosure counseling for those homeowners that are facing foreclosure or other mortgage default problems, and various form of assistance is provided to borrowers. Call (925) 825-3099, or click here to learn more about foreclosure assistance in California.

Another agency is Housing and Economic Rights Advocates (HERA) (phone (510) 271-8443) works closely with low income and otherwise vulnerable Oakland Homeowners. Qualified individuals can get help saving their home and from foreclosure. The agency offers individual foreclosure counseling and prevention, workshops, advice, and telephone counseling and referral services to various mortgage and foreclosure programs.

Borrowers across the region are supported by several other organizations, charities, and government programs. Locate more Oakland foreclosure counseling agencies that also include Alameda County.

Legal aid and assistance in Oakland CA area

Several non-profit firms across the area provide access to lawyers if you can’t afford one. The legal programs that are offered can help people with a wide variety of issues. For example, if you are faced with losing your home to a foreclosure, need eviction prevention services, mediation, are being harassed by debt collectors, are undergoing domestic issues, these firms may be able to help. A few of the places to turn to for free legal help include Bay Area Legal Aid (510) 663-4744), East Bay Community Law Center ((510) 548-4040) and the National Housing Law Project ((510) 251-9400).

Law Center For Families - Provides free legal advice to low-income people in Alameda County. The organizations was formed from Legal Aid Society of Alameda County and Community Law Center. It is based in Oakland. Dial (415)451-9562

Ways to reduce debt and improve credit

If you need help dealing with unpaid debts, the Oakland California based Consumer Credit Counselors / Money Management Inc. (phone (510) 729-6960) may be able to help. The non-profit credit counseling agency can help people create a budget, enter a debt management program, and deal with unpaid bills. Learn more about pros and cons of debt management plans, or call the credit counselors.

House cleaning assistance for women who are currently undergoing chemotherapy.  This is a free home cleaning made service for up to four months. Go the following website  http://www.cleaningforareason.org/  for more information.






Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Berkeley Housing Authority, 1947 Center Street, 5th Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: bha@cityofberkeley.info Phone: (510) 981-5470
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903