Translation Disclaimer

Office of Energy & Sustainable Development (OESD)
Office of Energy & Sustainable Development (OESD)

Revised BESO Phase-In Schedule

BESO compliance is required on a phase-in schedule for all buildings except houses (1-4 units). The timing, frequency, and specific type of energy assessment required depends on the type and size of the building, per the revised BESO ordinance, effective July 21, 2016. See table below for the schedule.

 Building Size (sq ft) 

 Due  Date 


 Reporting Cycle 

Large buildings: 50,000 or more


Energy Assessment every 5 years
ENERGY STAR Performance Report annually

 Large buildings: 25,000- 49,999


Medium/Small buildings:15,000-24,999


Energy Assessment every 10 years

 Medium/Small buildings: 5,000-14,999


 Small buildings: Less than 5,000 (excluding 1-4 unit homes)


BESO Compliance Documents


For more information on BESO, see:  

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Office of Energy & Sustainable Development (OESD), 1947 Center Street, 1st Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-7465
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903