Translation Disclaimer

Office of Energy & Sustainable Development (OESD)
Office of Energy & Sustainable Development (OESD)

BESO Energy Assessors

What are BESO Registered Energy Assessors?
Building Energy Saving Ordinance (BESO), Berkeley Municipal Code 19.81, stipulates that owners of residential and commercial buildings must conduct Energy Assessments and disclose the findings in an Energy Report. These reports inform building owners, as well as potential buyers and renters, of building energy performance and cost-effective opportunities for improvement. Only energy service providers registered with the City of Berkeley (Registered Energy Assessors) will be able to conduct BESO assessments. BESO starts December 1, 2015. For more information, see  

Who Can Become a BESO Registered Energy Assessor?
Energy Assessors must meet the minimum qualifications listed below, have a valid Berkeley business license, and agree to the terms of the Energy Assessor Registration Agreement. Once all qualifications are met, assessors will be added to the BESO Registered Energy Assessor Lists for Commercial, Multifamily & Mixed Use or Houses (1-4 unit residential buildings).

Minimum Qualifications to Become a BESO Registered Energy Assessor

  • Houses (1 to 4 units)
    • Single Unit Buildings – Must be Certified Home Energy Score Provider. To get started on the Home Energy Score training process, send an email to To find out more about the Home Energy Score program, visit the Home Energy Score regional partner website here: 
    •  2 to 4 Attached Dwelling Units – If units are stacked or front to back, must also be Energy Upgrade California participating Home Performance Contractor or Rater. For more information about the Energy Upgrade California program, see Energy Upgrade CA overview.
  • Multifamily/Mixed Use Buildings Must have two of the following:
    • HERS Whole House (HERS II) Rater
    • BPI Certified Multifamily Building Analyst
    • GreenPoint Rater Existing Home Multifamily Rater
  • Commercial/Mixed Use Buildings Must have one of the following: 
    • ASHRAE Building Energy Assessment Professional Certification (BEAP)
    • Association of Energy Engineers Certified Energy Manager or Certified Energy Auditor
    • California Professional Engineer licensed through the National Society of Professional Engineers 

Steps to Become a Registered Energy Assessor 

  1. Meet minimum qualifications and obtain a current Berkeley Business License. Please see Administrative Regulations for details. 
  2. Sign and return the Energy Assessor Registration Agreement to
  3. Contact BESO staff for a BESO Assessor Orientation:  


   Assessor Documents- GENERAL 
   Assessor Documents- HOUSES

For questions, email or call 510-981-7465 or see BESO webpage:

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Office of Energy & Sustainable Development (OESD), 1947 Center Street, 1st Floor, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-7465
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903