Translation Disclaimer

Berkeley Housing Authority
1936 University Avenue, Suite 150, Berkeley, CA 94704
TEL: (510) 981-5470, TDD: (510) 981-5485, FAX: (510) 981-5480
Office Hours: Mon-Thur 8:15am-4:30 pm (Closed every Fri), Email:


Berkeley Housing Authority home page photo

Welcome to the Berkeley Housing Authority site at the City of Berkeley, CA.

 The Berkeley Housing Authority (BHA) was estabilished on December 20, 1966.  BHA provides rental assistance to a total of 1,939 units through the Section 8 and Moderate Rehabilitation Program.   It is governed by a 7-member  Housing Authority Board.

Yes, Berkeley? - A great place to live, work and raise a family.   Berkeley is a city with a small population and a big reputation. In California alone, there are more than 30 cities bigger than Berkeley. In Alameda County, Berkeley is ranked fourth in population behind Oakland, Fremont, and Hayward. And yet, we are famous around the globe as a center for academic achievement, scientific exploration, free speech and the arts.  [more...]

Customer Care.  - Your opinion and observations are important. Use this link for instructions on how you can share your thoughts, compliments and concerns: [more...]

PG&E CARE/FERA Application - Berkeley Housing Authority is a CARE/FERA Community Outreach Contractor with PG&E. CARE/FERA are provides up to a 20% discount on your monthly energy bill. The program has income qualifications - please see the application for details. [more...]

Payment Standards, Income Limits, and Utility Allowance  - Tenants are not required to pay more than 40 percent of the income as rent. The maximum rent shown below is set by payment standards.  We understand your participation in the Section 8 Program is a business endeavor, and your rents  need to keep pace with current market conditions.  The rent must be reasonable – comparable to rents for similar unassisted unites.  If the rent approved for a unit equals the Payment Standard, the family will not receive an allowance for any tenant paid utilities.  If the rent demanded is greater than the Payment Standard for the unit size, you will become subject to registration and payment of registration fees to the Rent Board and the unit will also be covered by many provisions of the Berkeley Rent Control Ordinance.  In addition, the rent you will be able to collect will most likely be the most recent Payment Standard plus Rent Control increases and NOT the market rent you are seeking.The Housing Authority would continue to pay the amount below as a maximum, but tenants may choose either to pay the amount of the increase or relocate to a more affordable unit using their voucher.  [more...]

Berkeley Housing Authority Forms & Information - All forms are in a Acrobat  (PDF) format which is a standard file format.  The Acrobat software is available from Adobe FREE of charge HERE. [more...]

Section 8 Wait List -   [more...]

BHA Office Closure Dates and Calendars - Calendar 2017   [more...]

Get assistance with bills and other expenses in Oakland & Alameda County - If you reside in the Oakland area of Alameda County, the Oakland Community Action Partnership is a public agency that does its best to ensure that all citizens have fair and equal access to services and resources to help them through difficult times. They also have information on resources, services and agencies that they can refer individuals to that they can use to get long term assistance.   Read below or click on link for more information: [more...]

Free Cell Phones Available to Low-Income Individuals - Free Cell Phone Available to Low-Income Individuals through Federal Lifeline Program [more...]

No Smoking Ordinance in Berkeley - Smoking Law Affects All Berkeley Multi-Unit Housing   [more...]

Free Computers for Low Income Residents of Alameda County and Marin County - Please click here for more information!! [more...]

Free Meals for Berkeley Youth, ages 18 and younger -


Summer Lunch Program Begins June 19th  

 Children who are 18 years old or younger are invited to eat free in Berkeley. In collaboration with the State of California Department of Education, we will offer free summer lunches and snacks to all Berkeley children at locations across the City. There are two (2) types of sites where children can receive a free lunch: 

1) Open Sites are where any child can receive a free lunch and snack, without having to be enrolled in any program. They just come to the open site and receive a free meal.

2) Closed Sites - Live Oak Community Center and Martin Luther King, Jr. Youth Services Center are our closed sites. Youth must be eligible to receive a free meal and snack. In order to be eligible, an income eligibility form must be completed for enrollment into the program at these sites. Forms and are available at the Recreation Administration Hub located at 2701 Telegraph Avenue. Dates, times and locations are listed below:

James Kenny Community Center - 1720 8th Street Berkeley, CA 94710

Lunch served 11:30am to 1:00pm. Snacks served 2:30pm to 4:00pm.

Harrison Street Skate Park - 5th and Harrison Street, Berkeley, CA 94710

Lunch served 11:30am to 1:00pm. Snacks served 2:30pm to 4:00pm.

Longfellow Middle School - 1500 Derby Street, Berkeley, CA 94703

Lunch served 11:30am to 1:00pm. Snacks served 2:30pm to 4:00pm.

West Campus Swim Center - 2100 Browning Street Berkeley, CA 94702

Lunch Served 11:30am to 1:00pm. Snack served 2:30pm to 4:00pm.

Closed Sites:

Martin Luther King, Jr. Youth Service Center - 1730 Oregon Street, Berkeley, CA 94703

Lunch Served 11:30 to 1:00pm. Snack served 2:30pm to 4:00pm.

Live Oak Community Center - 1300 Shattuck Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94707

Lunch served 11:30 to 1:00pm. Snack served 2:30pm to 4:00pm.

For more information, please contact Ginsi Bryant, Recreation Coordinator, 981-6671.



The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers,

employees, and applicants  for employment on the  bases of race, color, national origin,

age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and  where applicable, political beliefs, 

marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s

income is derived from any public assistance  program, or protected genetic information in

employment or in any program or  activity conducted or funded by the Department.

(Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA

Program Discrimination  Complaint Form,  found online at, or at any USDA office, or call (866) 632-9992

to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in

 the form. Send your completed  complaint form or letter to  us by mail at

U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director

Office of Adjudication

1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 

by fax (202) 690-7442 or email at

Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through

the  Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish).

“USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.”   

For more information, please contact Ginsi Bryant at (510) 981-6671

Home | Web Policy | Text-Only Site Map | Contact Us
Berkeley Housing Authority, 1936 University Avenue, Suite 150, Berkeley, CA 94704
Questions or comments? Email: Phone: (510) 981-5470
(510) 981-CITY/2489 or 311 from any landline in Berkeley
TTY: (510) 981-6903