RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Special Meeting Minutes
Thursday, February 25, 2010
No Video Archive
1. Roll Call - Vice-Chair Blake called the meeting to order at 7:16 p.m. Pam Wyche called roll.
Commissioners present: Drake, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Webster
Commissioners absent: Chong, Stephens
Staff present: Brown, Kelekian, Mueller, Wyche
2. Approval of Agenda M/S/C (Tregub/Drake) APPROVED. Voice vote. Passed: 6-0-0-2 Absent: Chong, Stephens
3. Public Forum There were five speakers. April Green on A.H.A. issue and hearing scheduling/noticing; Paul Barker on his new home; Marcia Levenson made two announcements - upcoming H.A.C. Public Hearing and B.H.A. wait list opening - and spoke in support of the Deputy Director position. Andrew Spence talked about April Green’s housing situation; Kathy Snowden (representing the B.P.O.A.) posed questions about the Tenant Survey.
4. Approval of January 21, 2010 regular meeting minutes M/S/C (Webster/Townley) APPROVED. Voice vote. Passed: 6-0-0-2. Absent: Chong, Stephens
5. Appeal Time Certain – 7:15 p.m. APPEAL T-5070 (2520 Durant Ave., #302) M/S/C (Webster/Shelton) MOVE TO UPHOLD STAFF’S RECOMMENDATION TO ENFORCE THE ESCROW ORDER AND CONTINUE THE APPEAL TO THE MARCH 15TH REGULAR MEETING (PENDING THE APPELLANT’S COMPLIANCE WITH THE ESCROW ORDER). Roll call vote. YES: Blake, Drake, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Webster; NO: None; ABSTAIN: None; ABSENT: Chong, Stephens. Passed: 6-0-0-2.
6. Special Report by Rent Board’s Legislative Advocate, Christine Minnehan Christine Minnehan apprised the Board of updates to current and pending housing legislation and answered questions from Board members.
7. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Second reading of proposed amendments to Reg. 702 [Payment of Interest on Security Deposits] ADOPT PROPOSED AMENDMENTS ON SECOND READING. M/S/C (Tregub/Drake) Roll call vote. YES: Blake, Drake, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Webster; NO: None; ABSTAIN: None; ABSENT: Chong, Stephens. Passed: 6-0-0-2
(2) Second reading of proposed amendments to Reg. 1266 [Self Labor] ADOPT PROPOSED AMENDMENTS ON SECOND READING. M/S/C (Townley/Drake) Roll call vote. YES: Drake, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Webster, Blake; NO: None; ABSTAIN: None; ABSENT: Chong, Stephens. Passed: 6-0-0-2
(3) Reminder that the Board’s questions and comments should be sent to Dr. Stephen Barton before his final report on results of Tenant Survey which will be presented at the next regularly broadcast meeting in March Vice-Chair Blake reminded the Board of this item. Commissioner Townley asked that staff communicate with the B.P.O.A. regarding the questions about the Tenant Survey posed during Public Forum.
(4) Discussion & possible action on recommendation from Ad Hoc Committee on procedure to select a replacement for vacant seat on the Board MOVED TO ADOPT AD HOC COMMITTEE’S RECOMMENDATIONS ON THE SELECTION PROCESS. M/S/C (Drake/Tregub) Voice vote. Absent: Chong, Stephens. Passed: 6-0-0-2.
Vice-Chair Blake took items out of order and moved Item 7.a.(7) next.
(7) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3812 1909 – 8th Street
3828 1212 Ashby Avenue
3836 3151 Eton Avenue
Waiver No. Property Address
3814 2756 Acton Street
3825 2501 Prince Street
Commissioner Townley pulled Waiver Number 3825 and Commissioner Tregub pulled Waiver Number 3814 for discussion.
M/S/C (Townley/Drake) APPROVE STAFF RECOMMENDATION ON WAIVER NUMBER 3814. Voice vote. Passed: 6-0-0-2. Absent: Chong, Stephens.
Townley pulled Waiver Number 3825. AFTER DISCUSSION, VICE-CHAIR BLAKE MOVED TO TABLE WAIVER 3825 UNTIL THE MARCH 15TH MEETING.
(5) Update on Recycling in Multi-Unit Buildings (Commissioner Tregub) Tregub advised that he will research this issue further and come back to the Board with a report on incentivizing recycling in multi-unit buildings. After further discussion, it was agreed that the item would also be referred to the Outreach Committee and possibly the 4x4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee.
(6) Proposal on Waivers (Commissioner Tregub) Carried over to the March 15th meeting.
8. Information and Announcements
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff
(1) Committee assignments (Chair Stephens) Will be discussed at next meeting as Chair was absent.
(2) Update on Rent Board Deputy Director Council report (Executive Director) The Executive Director spoke briefly about this item and the issues raised at the last Council meeting; he plans to submit a letter to Council and be present to address those issues at the next Council meeting on March 9th, 2010.
(3) Lawful Rent Ceiling letters to landlords and tenants (Executive Director)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings -- To be scheduled offline.
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. January 22nd meeting agenda
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
a. January 21st meeting minutes
b. February 18th agenda
(4) Eviction/Section 8
(5) Safe & Sustainable Housing
(6) 4 x 4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on filling vacant Board member seat
a. February 19th agenda
(8) Ad Hoc Committee on Waiver Process – Tregub expressed interest in scheduling another meeting before the next Board meeting.
(9) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda.
9. Adjournment (Townley/Blake) Vice-Chair Blake adjourned at 9:57 p.m.