RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Regular Meeting Minutes
Monday, April 19, 2010
(3 hrs, 33 mins)
1. Roll Call Chair Stephens called the meeting to order at 7:12 p.m. Pam Wyche called roll.
Commissioners present: Blake, Chong, Drake, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Webster, Stephens
Commissioners absent: None
Staff present: Barton, Brown, Kelekian, Mueller, Wyche
2. Approval of Agenda M/S/C (Tregub/Webster) APPROVED AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-0.
3. Public Forum Two speakers at this stage*: Paul Barker on his good landlord; and Pamela Iluore in support of her former boss and current Rent Board candidate, Katherine Harr. *Public Forum was resumed during Item #6.a.(1).
4. Approval of March 15, 2010 Board Meeting minutes M/S/C (Townley/Shelton) MOVE TO APPROVE WITH THE FOLLOWING CHANGE: CORRECT TREGUB’S VOTE ON THE SUBSTITUE MOTION FOR WAIVER NO. 3842 TO “YES.” (NOTE: There was no change needed for Tregub’s vote; however, there was an error in the motion’s maker and seconder, which was corrected to reflect Townley/Shelton.) Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-0.
5. Discussion of final draft of Report on Effects of Rent Stabilization and Vacancy Decontrol on Property Values and Rent Burdens in Berkeley. Dr. Stephen Barton highlighted the changes he’d made to the report since his presentation at the last Board meeting, and took questions from Board members.
a. Presentation by Commissioner Chong – Comments on the Economic Study M/S/C (Chong/Blake) Commissioner Chong distributed his presentation slides to the Board and they are available from staff. MOVED TO TABLE UNTIL NEXT MEETING. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-0.
Chair Stephens then took items out of order in an effort to accommodate the Time Certain of 8:00p.m. for Item 6.a.(1).
6. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(2) Recommendation to set the FY 2011 annual registration fee, establish the maximum expenditure level for FY 2010/2011, and authorize the pass-through to certain tenants a portion of the registration fee. M/S/C (Tregub/Drake) MOVE TO ADOPT RESOLUTIONS 10-04 AND 10-05 AS WRITTEN. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-0.
(3) Reconsideration of the date of the May Board meeting. M/S/C (Blake/Shelton) MOVE TO CHANGE THE DATE OF THE MAY BOARD MEETING TO MONDAY, MAY 24, 2010. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-0.
(4) Status report on the Waiver Committee’s work and request for Board input. Each Board member gave their input on the existing waiver process; this feedback will be reviewed by the Ad Hoc Committee on Waivers in preparation for their subsequent recommendation to the full Board.
(1) Discussion and possible action regarding search results and recommendation(s) to the Board of the most qualified candidate(s) for filling the vacant seat on the Board. (Time Certain 8:00 pm). Commissioner Drake began by informing the Board of which candidates had been interviewed by the Ad Hoc Committee on Filling Board Vacancy. The Executive Director then reviewed the proposed voting procedure and answered questions from the Board regarding the procedural options before them.
M/S/C (Chong/Drake) MOVE “CONSENSUS” FOR VOTING PROCESS (I.E., THAT THE CANDIDATE WITH THE GREATEST NUMBER OF TOTAL VOTES WILL BE VOTED ON FIRST). Roll call vote. YES: Chong, Drake, Shelton, Tregub, Webster, Stephens. NO: Blake, Townley. ABSTAIN: None. ABSENT: None. Passed: 6-2-0-0.
M/S/C (Stephens/Blake) MOVE TO APPROVE THE VOTING PROCESS AS RECOMMENDED BY THE AD HOC COMMITTEE ON FILLING BOARD VACANCY. Roll call vote. YES: Blake, Chong, Drake, Shelton, Townley, Tregub, Webster, Stephens. NO: None. ABSTAIN: None. ABSENT: None. Passed: 8-0-0-0.
At this stage, Public Forum was resumed to allow one remaining speaker to address the Board on behalf of a Rent Board candidate: Mr. Ming Chung spoke in support of Katherine Harr. Then, the Board heard a three-minute presentation from each of the following Rent Board candidates: Katherine Harr, George Perezvelez, Adinah Caro-Greene, Marcia Levenson, Judy Ann Alberti, Alejandro Soto-Vigil, and Ipsheeta Furtado. The Board then called the following candidates back to the podium for questions: George Perezvelez, Adinah Caro-Greene, Marcia Levenson, Judy Ann Alberti, and Alejandro Soto-Vigil.
M/S/C (Drake/Tregub) MOVE TO BEGIN THE PROCESS BY THE BOARD TO APPOINT ONE OF THE CANDIDATES TO FILL THE VACANT SEAT. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-0.
A straw poll vote was then held to determine the order in which the Board would vote on the candidates. The order for voting on the candidates is as follows:
George Perezvelez/Adinah Caro-Greene
Judy Ann Alberti
M/S/C (Tregub/Blake) MOVE TO ALLOW COMMISSIONERS TO ASK FURTHER QUESTIONS OF CANDIDATES IF THEY CHOOSE. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-0.
There was further discussion and several Commissioners posed additional questions to most of the candidates present.
M/S/W (Drake/Tregub) MOVE TO CLOSE DISCUSSION AND DO A ROLL CALL VOTE TO APPOINT ALEJANDRO SOTO-VIGIL TO THE BOARD AND, IF THE MOTION FAILS, TO CONTINUE DOWN THE LIST OF CANDIDATES IN THE ORDER DEFINED (BY THE STRAW POLL VOTE). **No vote – motion withdrawn by maker.**
M/S/F (Drake/Shelton) MOVE TO CLOSE DISCUSSION OF CANDIDATES COMPLETELY. Roll call vote. YES: Drake, Shelton, Townley, Stephens. NO: Blake, Tregub, Webster, Chong. ABSTAIN: None. ABSENT: None. Failed: 4-4-0-0.
M/S/F (Tregub/Shelton) MOVE TO APPOINT ALEJANDRO SOTO-VIGIL TO THE BOARD. Roll call vote. YES: Drake, Shelton, Tregub, Stephens. NO: Blake, Chong. ABSTAIN: Townley, Webster. ABSENT: None. Failed: 4-2-2-0.
ROLL CALL VOTE TO NOMINATE KATHERINE HARR TO THE RENT BOARD. Roll call vote. YES: Blake, Chong, Webster, Tregub, Stephens. NO: Drake, Shelton. ABSTAIN: Townley. ABSENT: None. Passed: 5-2-1-0.
Katherine Harr, Commissioner-Elect, was appointed by acclamation to the Board by Chair Stephens with no objections.
(5) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following requests for waiver of late registration penalties. (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
3826 1515 Prince Street, Unit B
3827 1522 Woolsey Street
3831 1211 Ashby Avenue
3838 2326 McKinley Avenue
3839 1039 Channing Way
3840 938 Camelia Street
3841 1835 Prince Street
3843 1723-25 – 10th Street
Waiver No. Property Address
3809 1300 Monterey Avenue
3822 154 Avenida Drive
3832 2822 San Pablo Avenue
3846 2814 MLK Jr. Way
M/S/C (Shelton/Drake) MOVE TO POSTPONE DISCUSSION OF WAIVERS UNTIL THE NEXT BOARD MEETING. Voice vote. Passed: 8-0-0-0.
A motion was then made to Adjourn. Information Items will be carried over to the May meeting.
7. Information and Announcements
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff.
(1) Deputy Director Announcement. (Executive Director)
(2) Budget update. (Executive Director and Budget and Personnel Committee)
(3) Ideas for improving the Rental Housing Safety Program. (Chong)
(4) Memo on Voter Outreach Campaign for Ranked-Choice Voting (Executive Director)
(5) Update on the Citizens’ Sunshine Ordinance Initiative (Executive Director)
(6) Memorial Service for Eve Bach on Sunday, April 25th, 2010 (Executive Director)
(7) Update on Recycling in Multi-Unit Buildings (Commissioner Tregub) (To be delivered).
(8) Update on Tenant’s Rights Week. (Commissioner Tregub)
b. Announcements of upcoming Committee/Board Meetings. The next Board meeting will be held on Monday, May 24, 2010.
(1) Budget and Personnel
a. April 16, 2010 meeting agenda.
a. January 22, 2010 meeting approved minutes.
b. March 12, 2010 meeting agenda.
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
a. February 18, 2010 meeting approved minutes.
b. April 15, 2010 meeting agenda.
(4) Eviction/Section 8
(5) Safe & Sustainable
a. April 19, 2010 meeting agenda.
(6) 4 x 4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(7) Ad Hoc Committee on filling vacant board member seat.
a. March 31, 2010 approved meeting minutes.
b. April 7, 2010 approved meeting minutes.
c. April 10, 2010 approved meeting minutes.
d. April 12, 2010 meeting agenda.
e. April 14, 2010 meeting agenda.
(8) Ad Hoc Committee on Waiver Process Chair Stephens asked that the committee meet soon.
(9) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda. Commissioner Drake asked that the issue of sponsorship for Measure “C” (the Berkeley Pools Bond) be put on the agenda for the May Board meeting.
8. Adjournment (Stephens/Blake) MOVE TO ADJOURN THE MEETING IN HONOR OF EVE BACH, LONG-TIME MEMBER OF THE BERKELEY COMMUNITY. Chair Stephens adjourned the meeting at 10:45p.m. in memory of Eve Bach.