RENT STABILIZATION BOARD
Monday, June 16, 2014
Maudelle Shirek Building
2134 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Council Chambers, Second Floor
Broadcast Live – KPFB – 89.3
(N. Berkeley) and BTV Cable Channel 33
Video Archive (2:18)
Many of the links below lead to PDF files that require Adobe Acrobat Reader to be installed on your computer.
You can download Acrobat Reader for free.
1. Roll call – 7:00 p.m.
2. Approval of Agenda
3. Public Forum
4. Approval of the May 12th Regular Meeting minutes
5. Special Presentation by Christine Minnehan & Associates, Legislative Advocates, on housing legislation
a. State Legislative Report
b. State Housing Bills: Status as of June 11, 2014
6. Appeal Time Certain – 8:00 p.m. – Appeal T-5379 (3030 College Avenue)
7. Action Items
a. From Board Members, Executive Director and Committees
(1) Proposal to approve staff recommendation on the following request for waiver of late registration penalties (Executive Director)
Waiver No. Property Address
4334 2007 Prince Street
4367 1639 63rd Street
Waiver No. Property Address
4303 1935 Russell Street
4354 2231 Shattuck Ave
4381 2923 Newbury Street
8. Information and Announcements
Please Note: The Board may move Information Items to the Action Calendar.
a. Reports from Board Members/Staff
(1) Fiscal Year 2014-2015 Registration letter and information mailed to Berkeley property owners (Executive Director)
(2) Communication from the Disaster & Fire Safety Commission concerning their action taken in response to the Rent Board memorandum on the Multi-Unit Housing Emergency Preparedness Program (Executive Director)
(3) June 6, 2014 Distressed Properties/Foreclosure Report presented to the Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosure Committee (Executive Director and Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosure Committee)
(4) May 4, 2014 Bay Area News Group article with information provided by Informa Research Services, Inc., titled, “Consumer Rates – Bay Area Saving and Borrowing Rates” (Commissioner Hunt)
(5) May 8, 2014 NBC News article by Stephanie Chuang titled, “Hot Bay Area Housing Market Squeezing Out Renters” (Executive Director)
(6) May 27, 2014 LA Times article by Rosanna Xia and Rong-Gong Lin II titled, “Santa Monica will have earthquake engineers identify older buildings” (Chair Stephens)
(7) May 28, 2014 LA Times article by Rosanna Xia titled, “L.A. to list structures that could be at risk in quake” (Chair Stephens)
(8) May 30, 2014 Bay Area News Group article by Paul Burgarino titled, “Antioch: Landlord tax measure will find home on November ballot” (Commissioner Hunt and Chair Stephens)
(9) May 30, 2014 SFChronicle.com/SFGate.com article by Melody Gutierrez titled, “S.F. Evictions – State Senate backs Ellis Act reforms” (Commissioner Hunt)
(10) June 1, 2014 Oakland Tribune article by Pete Carey titled, “Nation’s Tightest Housing Market – Bay Area homebuyers face ‘a dire situation’” (Commissioner Hunt)
(11) June 11, 2014 Beyond Chron.org article by Andrew Szeto titled, “At-Will Eviction Bill Moves Through CA Legislature” (Vice Chair Harr)
b. Updates and Announcements regarding Committee/Board Meetings
(1) Budget and Personnel
(3) IRA/AGA and Habitability
(4) Eviction/Section 8/Foreclosure
a. May 2nd minutes
(5) Safe & Sustainable Housing
(6) Waivers Committee
(7) 4 x 4 City Council/RSB Housing Committee
(8) Future Special Meetings
c. Discussion of items for possible placement on future agenda
(1) Discussion of Board Compensation and Attendance rules
(2) Discussion of Airbnb rentals in Berkeley
COMMUNICATION ACCESS INFORMATION:
This meeting is being held in a wheelchair-accessible location.
To request disability-related accommodation(s) to participate in the meeting, including auxiliary aids or services, please contact Aimee Mueller at 981-4932 or 981-6903 (TDD) at least three business days before the meeting date.
Please refrain from wearing scented products to this meeting.